Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing my timing chain/water pump on the '89, and the store was out of black RTV. I picked up Blue, because it said "Sensor Safe".. Is that the only difference? That it won't hurt an O2 sensor? I can't put it together till Monday because I had to ordere a repair sleeve for the balancer (I can cure my oil leak at the same time -- I thought I was going to have to replace the pan gasket :D ) Also, while I'm at it, I'm replacing the radiator because the bottom 1/3 of the fins are rotted away.. Now this was a plow truck at one point, but it was an aftermarket plow.. It did not come with the Sno-Commander package. However, when I pulled the radiator out, I learned that I have a stock auxiliary tranny cooler plumbed inline with the one built into the radiator. Was this just a standard feature in '89?

TIA,
Matt {peace}

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
My 89 had the same thing.

·
Registered
647 Posts
As far as the RTV goes, it will be ok. I used red on mine when I did it and had no issues. My engine bay looks like a christmas tree. Black, blue, red, and a touch of yellow on the oil pan from the autoshop.

·
29,388 Posts
I have two 86's, one came with the cooler, one did not. The coolers were just part of an option package like a towing package or heavy duty service package.
As for the RTV's, I'm not sure about the difference between blue and black (I've always used them interchangably) but I do know the red is for high temperatures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts