Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know if I jumped time. It was running at idle (purring right along) stalled. When I finnaly go it to restart it was backfiring through the exhaust and intake (but running) Does this sound like a timing chain? THe reason I'm asking is I'm going to have to pay to get it done this time (No time to do it myself and I'm tired of limping the jeep (It needs serious work also)) And I dont want to pay if this won't fix the GD problem (The mechanic is a Dodge fan and is cutting me a break but still) ::)

PS I was under the hood when the engine stalled and the distributor is tight so it hasent turned to cause a bad retard (other than me :) LOL ) Oh 74 440

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
thats what it sounds like it did [jump time] but you can check it / pull # 1 plug and turn it over till top dead and the timing marks align on the crank / now mark the DIST were # 1 is and pull the cap and see how far off it is / the marking part is very important because even one or two teeth jumped[on the chain&gears] is only gonna be a little bit at the cap

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wasnt the timeing chain ended up being a bad coil and ignition switch

·
Registered
181 Posts
Verry interesting, I just had mine at the smog test shop, and the tech could barely get the timing light to read. I am stupid, so I said, "must be those spark plug wires are just too good, and have just too much insulation". The smog guy turned to me and smiled as he said, "Yeah, either that, or the ignition coil is cooked...".

Went to Car-Quest, scored a coil, and it runs like it has an extra 4 cylinders..... I guess coils do go bad.

Roy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts