Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This goes on my Dad's 96, 1/2 ton, 4wd, 318, auto. Already had a cat back exhaust and K&N FIPK air intake.

We got the JET Module because it got better recommendations than the Mopar unit, and Hypertech discontinued theirs.

Installation was cake for the most part, with the Computer in the engine bay, passenger side firewall, it took longer to get his "OOogaaah" horn out of the way than it did to install the module in line with the harness. It did take a few tries though to get the clips on the module to engage positively with the computer's tabs. The dust cover won't go back on without hacking so much of it away it wouldn't do much anymore, so we left it off.

It seems to do as expected. Upon first startup there was a nasty stumble off idle but that cleared up, computer re-learning I'm guessing. No Check Engine light. The truck does seem a bit peppier, the shifts seem later and firmer. He's running 89 octane in it now and we did get some detonation when laying on the throttle going up a decent grade, but no noises on level ground.. He'll fill up with 92 when the gas level drops more.

This was all with me driving, haven't heard if he's had a chance to see how he likes it with his own driving style. Also asked him to confirm that the off idle stumble was a computer learning curve and that it doesn't do it again when the engine is cold.

Overall, it seemed to do as advertised (though no dyno numbers to check). It cost a hair under $300 (everything for the 96 is more expensive than earlier or later years I've noticed), but I really don't have any other $300 mods to compare it to so I can't really say if it was worth that or not. I'd say probably is considering the cost of hardware mods. If nothing else it just feels better in the brain.

Once I hear back from Dad on his further opinions, I'll post em here if he has anything I haven't already mentioned.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well after a couple ankle surgeries, Dad has finally got the huge club off his leg and is driving again. But the report is not too good.

The off idle stumble is still there after many off-on cycles and some varying speed milage, but does go away after the truck completely warms up.

Also, after the truck is warmed up, if it's shut off to go into a store quickly he has to stab the gas to the floor to get it to start again. Only does that when it's warm.

He's going to call Jet and talk to their tech dudes and see if they have a solution.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another update (he's not moving real quickly on this).

after calling Jet, they suggested that the module may not be completely seated and square in the computer. So, on their suggestion he removed the computer from the firewall and placed it on the bench where he could get a good stance over it and make sure everything is as they said to make sure it was.

No change, stumble is still there.

Jet module removed and the pickup is running like it should again, so the problem apparently isn't somewhere else in the pickup.

So now he is getting it packed back up to send in back to Jet. I didn't catch what their plan is for it. Whether they're sending a replacement, refunding, or what I don't know .

He is not impressed. Also he is now saying that he wasn't really noticing any improvement. I thought there was but I don't spend as time with the pickup as he does.

On another vehicle, his brother put one on his 98 (?) 454'd Chevy and likes it and has had no problems.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey Donk, my moms 97 would do the same thing without the chip, does your dads do it without the chip? If it does, its going to be the coolant temp sensor, replaced that and it was perfect.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pulled the module and everything went back to normal and smooth
I think he said Jet is sending him a new module to try. We'll see what happens then.
Will keep that in mind though.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well my Dad finally got the new module put in. He said everything is acting normal this time, but he hasn't had a chance to drive it much or very hard yet. So as mentioned above, seems to have been a bad module in the first place.

Also, Jet's tech line offered a couple suggestions to try first, but then replaced the module without any problems. So the customer service gets a thumbs up.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another update:
My dad was saying recently that he felt something seemed "not quite right" about the way his pickup was running, though he didn't go into detail on exactly what "not quite right" entailed.
After filling up with a fresh tank of gas (don't know the octane) it didn't get any better.  Having issues previously, he removed the module again and everything is all better he says.  He didn't say if he's looked into it any further than that, but for now the module is removed and it is running fine again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.