Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 73 W200 Crew Cab with a 4" Tuff Country Lift. The front driveshaft from the transfer case to the front differential is removed....the angle on the front differential needs to be changed for the driveshaft.
The problem that I am having is the truck is being pulled hard to the left and then hard to the right when I am holding the steering wheel in a straight line. The other day I was going about 10 miles an hour and it did not want to go straight at all.
Has anyone else had a problem like this? ???

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
YES! I am still trying to get it right.Welcome to the site.

Here is a small list of what may cause it. Bad box, steering shaft, ball joints, tires and the list goes on. I have replaced just about everything on mine and still have some issues. It's getting better but I still have some work to do.

I would start by checking each component and then replace anything that IS bad.

·
Registered
29,708 Posts
thats a classic case of too much caster-camber which everone/ you need to shim yer front end

·
Registered
8 Posts
Start with your steering shaft, then check gear box for play (some can be adjusted out). Then check steering drag link knuckles, ball joints, and tie rod ends. All of the above had to be replaced on my 91. Steering feels brand new now. Also have the toe checked by a shop.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Change your front, inner axle u-joints. They are siezed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have checked the steering shaft and there is a small amount of play there but do not believe it is causing this sudden shift back and forth.

The steering gear looks good and doesnt seem to have any problems. As far as the ball joints, tie rod end, tires, wheels, etc...they all are good. The shop that did the lift is going to shim the front axle to get the driveline angle correct and install it.

How can I tell if the axle u-joints are bad?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
smeedemann said:
How can I tell if the axle u-joints are bad?
Same way as your driveline joints. You'll be able to wiggle them laterally. You'll also hear and feel a "snap" or "clunk" when you cut the wheel, like when turning into a parking spot.

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took a look at the u-joints on the front axle while my wife turned the steering wheel. The passenger side u-joint appeared to be binding when the wheels were turned. The driver side u-joint appeared to move smoothly. Is this a sign of a bad u-joint or is it an axle problem?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on my Steering problem:

I did as recommended and replaced the u-joints in my front axle shafts.....and the steering problem is gone! The passenger side u-joint was siezed up in one direction and was the cause of the problem.

I wanted to thank you all for your help!! ;D

Erik

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
smeedemann said:
The shop that did the lift is going to shim the front axle to get the driveline angle correct and install it.
They aren't going to use 'wedge' shims to rotate the front axle are they? If they are, don't do it. You will have steering & tire wear issues as this causes the front tires, when turned left or right, to turn out of plane with the road (the tires no longer turn perpendicular to the ground)...

-SM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts