Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw this old jeep j20 that the air force had at a junkyard and it looked like there was a big block in it! Does the 360 amc have the distributor in the front or the back like the dodge small blocks?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Its in the front and its a ford system. With a milatary and a j-20 I would think it has the 401. All three blocks are the same size 304 360 401. You can tell witch one your looking at by crawling underneath, the engine size is welded on the block above the motor mounts. Can you tell I was a jeep fan long before being slaped up side the head and tought corectly. I still have a jeep but its my street vehicle. Wyatt

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Over the years, the military has operated many different truck brands. In the 60s there was a militarized version of the Jeep J-series trucks that was in service called the M715. It was very different from the civilian versions. They had canvas tops, a completely different bed. Oversized tires and opened up fenderwells to accomadate the tires. The M715 used the "Tornado" 230 I-6 engine.

Usually most branches of the military have been pretty uniform on the trucks they use. An Army CUCV was identical to a USMC CUCV, to a Navy CUCV, however the Air Force has been known to use trucks not found in use in other branches. I would think that a later 70s or 80s Jeep J20 w/ a V8 would most likley be an USAF vehicle if one was ever used. I do know that there were a number of Cherokees were used as basic transportation vehicles, in the 80s but never to be used in combat. (They reminded me of forest service vehicles ;D) The M715s were used during Vietnam, a large number of them were damaged from enemy action.

Ed

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now that i remember there was a 3_0 on the id tag under the hood but the number in the middle was scratched so i couldnt read it. but i had a utility bed on it with all those lockable boxes that u see on like construction trucks. on the inside door id tag it said it had and automatic with a new process 206 and the front axel was a d44 and the rear was a d66

1 - 4 of 4 Posts