Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RC has a Jacobs Omni Magnum box. I call it a "coil eliminator" (for lack of a better name) because it seems to replace the coil. This box was on the truck when I got it 2 years ago and I don't how long it was on before that.

The box has a blue light on it that is supposed to flash when it fires. My truck has been running pretty rough and has died several times lately. When it dies it obviously has fuel but no spark. Now the blue light flashes sometimes and doesn't flash sometimes even when the truck is running. I have checked all the wiring and it looks good.

I called the tech support folks. Jacobs is owned by Mr Gasket now. The guy said that if the blue light is intermittent then the box is toast and must be replaced. Of course they haven't made the Omni Magnum for over 2 years and he recommended a thing called the Pro-Street kit that costs $355.

So, first of all, what is this box really called and what would ya'll recommend replacing it with that doesn't cost $355.

I have read about the MSD Orange Box. Is that a replacement?

Thanks in advance.

G

·
I also have the MSD. I've never had a problem with it. I did have a Crane Hi-6 on my Camaro that went belly up just after the warranty expired. Just a suggestion. If your stock ignition is still there, leave it. Wire up the aftermarket so that you can easily switch back to the stock should the aftermarket give you problems. That's what I did with the Camaro. Switched a couple wires and it got me home.

·
29,380 Posts
The Omni Magnum is basically a coil (it actually has two coils, one for low RPM, one for high) and ignition system in one. I don't know anything about the blue light, but I would take the tech guys word for it as being toast (givin all you connections are good).
I have the Jacobs Mileage Master which is simular to the Pro Street. I have had it for 6 years with zero trouble. However, I would just get an MSD 6 if I where you. The Jacobs is a nice system and it does some things the MSD doesn't, but for the difference in price, it's not worth it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for the help! What a resource this site is!

Since all the stock ignition pieces were still there except the coil, I took Primer's advice, bought a new coil (MSD Blaster2) and wired it back up stock. I will still get the MSD 6a but at least the beast is running now so I bought myself some time.
Even then I'll make sure I can always go back to stock in a pinch.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts