Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up this gem from craigslist. Its a Motor generator corp (now owned by Hobart), powerpull Super 666. In simple terms, it is a combination aircraft starter generator (28 volt, 600 amp). and aircraft tug. My main idea is for moving stuff around the yard.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Its heart is a Chrysler industrial flathead I32. 265 CI engine. Turning by hand, it seems to have good compression. Has a Carter BBS carb.

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Vehicle Gas

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Metal Vehicle

No idea of the make or model, but it looks to be a forklift ax;e, with attached 3 speed trans. With big honkin brakes.

Power goes from the engine, through the generator, the clutch, the trans, and into the axle. No u-joints to deal with.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wood Automotive wheel system Wheel Automotive tire Auto part

I originally thought they were solid forklift tires, but on closer look, they look to be tube 6.9X9 tires. At least they hold air.

Grey Road surface Wood Tints and shades Font

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The only date I have found so far is the exhaust manifold, showing it is likely a 1955 vintage.

Wood Art Tints and shades Sculpture Auto part

Wheel Automotive tire Product Tire Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Gauge Gas Auto part

Looks to be a 6 volt start/ electrical system.

Brown Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Electrical wiring

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Wood Gas Cable

Typical aircraft setup. the generator stuff is big and beefy.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Rim

Road surface Font Wood Wall Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Automotive exterior Scrap

Light Font Gas Wood Motor vehicle

Hope that was enough pictures.

·
Registered
958 Posts
That thing is cool.

Not to hi Jack your thread but I seen something similar recently and just found it again near me. It’s got Chrysler on the valve cover. Said it’s a Hemi??

Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Biome Tree

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Automotive exterior

Reactions: jcruse64

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you run your house off of it?
If the house was 28 volt DC. I have read some mixed stuff as far as getting it to work at 12 volts. Or even using it as a welder.

That thing is cool.

Not to hi Jack your thread but I seen something similar recently and just found it again near me. It’s got Chrysler on the valve cover. Said it’s a Hemi??
Now that is cool, what better then a Hemi powered welder. Hobart made some cool stuff back on the day.

But not $2800 cool.

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
958 Posts
If the house was 28 volt DC. I have read some mixed stuff as far as getting it to work at 12 volts. Or even using it as a welder.

Now that is cool, what better then a Hemi powered welder. Hobart made some cool stuff back on the day.

But not $2800 cool.
It’s a shame it was parked in the brush. Guy said it works fine though. Same guy has some other cool stuff posted. He actually used it to work on stuff.

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, for that price I would have to see it weld. Thats a bit higher then I paid for my M887, the whole truck, with the welder/ generator/air compressor, all in running condition.

I wonder what the output rating is. The welder in the m887, is 400 amps, and powered by a Wisconsin 4 cyl.

Reactions: Panda and Lzed

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reactions: Lzed

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few more interesting tidbits.

No cheapo parts.

Sun tach.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font Gas Auto part

Motor vehicle Gauge Vehicle Measuring instrument Gas

Doesn't this sender need batteries?

Road surface Font Wood Wall Automotive tire

This voltage reg looks to be well over $200 for a new one. More then I paid for the whole tug. If this is bad, I will fabricate something else.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Rim

Reactions: Adamell

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everything on this is straight from the 50's. This is the master cylinder. The brake and clutch pedals pivot off the front end (Left side). That bolt is the adjustment for the clutch pedal, and the bar just beyond it is the clutch pedal.

Jaw Motor vehicle Wood Bone Vehicle

Here is the other side. The clucth housing is at the bottom of the pic.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 3rd one I found still existing, and it is relegated to a museum.

Vehicle Aircraft Automotive tire Tire Wheel

But at least that is better then the 2nd one I found.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Reactions: jcruse64

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I cleaned out the rats nest inside the generator. Stater and rotor passed all the static tests I can do while it is installed. No shorts, nothing leaking to ground. So generator wise It looks good. I cannot find my generator manuals, so I cannot tell if she will do the 14400 watts at 12 volts (1200 amps), but limiting to 600 amps, will be plenty for anything I will ever do. Especially since I have two gas powered 400 amp welders.

Brown Wood Gas Tints and shades Font

Brown Wood Gas Tints and shades Metal

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I removed the generater (6 volt starting) and starter. Mounting one of my big 12 volt alternators will be easy. I did not open it up, but the starter acts like it has some bad windings. And of course it does not match any of the ones in my parts shelves. And does not seem to be the same as used by Chrylser in their car/ truck 265 flatheads. And none of the numbers stamped into it cross over to anything. So it will be awhile until I can try staring her.

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Wood Gas Cable

Wood Bumper Gas Tints and shades Automotive exterior

·
Administrator
31,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also trying to research the wheels and rear axle.

The front wheels have the hub built in, like many riding mowers. Simple, I will try to find a conventional hub/ wheel setup, or maybe even make some when I get that far. I would like to run cheaper 10" rims on the front at least.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Wood Alloy wheel

The rear axle is another story. Not sure how it all mounts up. They say you need to deflate the tire, and remove the two halves of the rim. I would like to find some sort of a diagram before I try.

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

And of course the rear axle still has me looking for a match. I am thinking it is a full floating axle like forklifts use for their front axle.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts