Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Awesome sauce, but I will never be able to afford one with 1000 ft lbs.  :(  Sticker shock is just terrible on these new things.  Cost half as much as my house and 20K more than my parents paid for their house. 

Drove a duramax in a chevy silverado at the Cleveland auto show couple years back with 975 ft. lbs. and it was pretty sweet.  Pulled hard, but wouldn't stop for crap without the exhaust brake.  Glad to hear dodge has invested in huge brakes 14+ inches and also the exhaust brake.  Makes all the difference on the heavy brutes!  I just can't get past the electronics in them.  TOO many sensors and monitors.  Shuts things down and literally makes the trucks undriveable.  Have a buddy that just traded in his 17 3500 for a ferd because of all the computer and electronic troubles he was having. Literally wasn't allowing him to start the truck or use any of the features if it did start. 

Trust me I would buy one in a heart beat (with manual trans of course) if I could afford it and then afford to trade in on another one and keep financing.

Neil

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
Not even a day, and the link does not work.    {noclue}

My sisters 2018 ford is in the shop again, this time for 2 weeks, to replace the cylinder head. I told them, the one thing good I heard about ford, was their warranty.

·
Super Moderator
30,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
3 times my house , not in your dreams , BUT can I take yours for a spin? the dealer won't allow test drives ..

·
Super Moderator
30,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dodge82273 said:
3 times my house , not in your dreams , BUT can I take yours for a spin? the dealer won't allow test drives ..
Sure. You have to get yourself to Utah though.

Mine was 1/6 of my house.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
  you DO keep records of how much you have spent ON the truck to date though? yeah '78 GMC 3500 C.C was 7200 ....    UTAH huh ? hummm my kids in CA .... wonder if anybody would notice if I went by way of Utah ...

·
Registered
52,873 Posts
while I would LOVE to have a newer truck, I can't get over the cost of these things. Heck even the used 93's are going for $8K, 94+ are going for $10+K

My wife has a 2000 CTD 5speed she paid $13K for, with 200K miles. AWESOME truck but really?

I "may" have a chance to buy a 2000.5 5 speed with a rebuilt trans, new clutch, and a tuner for $3K. That is a deal to me and will do anything I want with "minimal" electronics.

What kind of MPGs are these 1000tq engines getting?

I will NEVER buy a Furd or Duracrap. I have a friend (ownes the business) that wrenches on those things and they suck to work on and that is is mainstay. They just keep coming in for work over and over.

From what he has told me the 98-2006? cummins are the best diesels ever built.  :p

·
Super Moderator
30,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dodge82273 said:
you DO keep records of how much you have spent ON the truck to date though? yeah '78 GMC 3500 C.C was 7200
No, I don't really keep track, I could calculate it if I needed to (payment+maintenance).....but why bother? Purchasing the truck wasn't a financial move, I bought it because I wanted/needed it for my purposes.

·
Super Moderator
30,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mopar65pa said:
What kind of MPGs are these 1000tq engines getting?
I could only speculate (they just announced them, they aren't for sale yet), but probably similar to the current trucks....likely between 14-19 mpgs depending on the truck (gears, SRW vs. DRW etc)

·
Super Moderator
13,936 Posts
...one of the off road magazines just did a road test on a big max-optioned Cummins 3500 truck driving cross country hauling a flatbed trailer with two big Jeeps on it, and they got like 8-9 mpg...not exactly 'awesome' - power everywhere but man they're thirsty. 

My '07 3500 megacab 4xdually with the 5.9 and 6-speed got 11.5 mpg on a three-hour highway trip hauling my 9000 lb truck - sure it'd slow a bit on the hills, but it did 75 mph just as well as everyone else.  Our next truck will be an identical clean low-lime '07 5.9 megacab but with the auto...

·
Registered
52,873 Posts
Mad Max said:
...one of the off road magazines just did a road test on a big max-optioned Cummins 3500 truck driving cross country hauling a flatbed trailer with two big Jeeps on it, and they got like 8-9 mpg...not exactly 'awesome' - power everywhere but man they're thirsty.

My '07 3500 megacab 4xdually with the 5.9 and 6-speed got 11.5 mpg on a three-hour highway trip hauling my 9000 lb truck - sure it'd slow a bit on the hills, but it did 75 mph just as well as everyone else. Our next truck will be an identical clean low-lime '07 5.9 megacab but with the auto...
while my 93 won't do 75mph up a hill with 9K behind it, it will still get 14mpg loaded or unloaded. ;D

·
Super Moderator
30,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mad Max said:

My '07 3500 megacab 4xdually with the 5.9 and 6-speed got 11.5 mpg on a three-hour highway trip hauling my 9000 lb truck - sure it'd slow a bit on the hills, but it did 75 mph just as well as everyone else. Our next truck will be an identical clean low-lime '07 5.9 megacab but with the auto...
The comparison would be logical.....if the weights were the same.

That said, I certainly hope folks aren't under the impression you can haul many, many tons of weight and get great mileage...I mean, nothing gets great mileage towing a lot of weight.

What I do know from the guys I've heard opine on their experience owning both 3rd and 4th gens, is the 4th gens are light years ahead and just plain better all around. I haven't owned a 3rd gen, so I can't compare.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
KThaxton said:
For some reason they removed it. Here's another.

https://www.autonews.com/detroit-auto-show/power-move-ram-hits-1000-lb-ft-torque

Hmmm, best not buy anything new again.....especially a Ford.
I'm just not convinced we will see the engines last like the older ones. Thats a lot of power to be pumping out from a 2 liter engine block. Yea, fords are at the bottom of my lists. I definitely would not buy a new model with that many new features, until it has had a few years to prove itself.

The worst mileage I got from a tank full on a tractor trailer, was just under 9MPG. Usually I got right around 10. That was with daycabs, so no idling to stay warm at night, and before the exhaust fluid emissions add ons.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
I was still back talking about the ferd.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
I marvel at all the engineering advances, Thankfully I do not need to be in the market. My luck with brand new trucks is dismal.

·
Registered
52,873 Posts
SuperBurban said:
The worst mileage I got from a tank full on a tractor trailer, was just under 9MPG. Usually I got right around 10. That was with daycabs, so no idling to stay warm at night, and before the exhaust fluid emissions add ons.
Ha ha I have been thinking about a modified "tractor" chassis with a reg 4 door truck cab. If there was a way to not to have to have air brake class license to do this I would go that rout. ;D More power than you could ever need and great brakes. :p

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I need 2000 foot pounds. If it comes with a tailgate that folds out into a staircase to allow access to the bed with a built in capuccino machine hidden by lock and key in the bed i might consider.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.