Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend wants to build some kind of crazy, weird, homegrown Hotrod. He wants to use the 318/4speed I have that is being replaced by a big block for this "hotrod'" motivation. Is it possible to use this tranny(out of a fulltime 4x4 truck) in a 2wd configuration. I'm guessing no, cause wont there be issues with the output shaft, since it usually is married to a np203. I told him just to get a 2wd tranny, but he wants to make this work somehow.

·
2,317 Posts
he could get the output shaft and tail housing from a 2wd trans.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Not sure what your friend has in mind. There are some other things to consider as well. Number one: Will it physically fit in his application? Is is a bolt in or will it require extensive modification. Number two is the gear ratios. If your transmission has a real low first gear it would not be the best transmission for a dragstrip. He may want to consider selling the transmission and transfer case and just buying a 2wd transmission that would fit in his vehicle and have the desired gear ratios.

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Yes, a 2wd output shaft and tail housing would need to be installed, but 318's and NP435's aren't really great hot rod material. Like was said, the 435 is a wide ratio, heavy duty, granny low, trans best suited for low speed grunting and pulling, not racing.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
A 833 would be a way better tranny in a crazy, weird, homegrown Hotrod.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Or just put in a 727 as you can find them everywhere for cheap and rebuild them yourself for even cheaper.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been trying to convice him just to find a 2wd tranny out of a car, but the main reason he wants the one I have is it is cheap. He doesn't even have a frame yet, so chances are, I'll be able to talk him into a different tranny by the time he gets one.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Like I said you can find a good core of a 727 for about $100-$150 down here in the cities at the big yards, don't know about up in duluth. Stick $200(if you do it yourself) for a full rebuild with shift kit and torque converter and you're done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts