Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we now have this board, I'm going to share my experience with the headlight conversion I did. The days getting shorter and everybody needs their headlights more often now.

What do you need?
IPF rectangular reflector (Part# 820H)
any H4 bulb. I went with the IPF Magic bulbs M17 (blue afterglow) or M15 (green afterglow). These are normal 55/60 W H4 bulbs with a rated output of 110/130 W. Since they consume only 55/60 (like any normal headlight) they are street legal and no change needs to be done to the headlight wiring. There are however high output bulbs available, which require you to change the headlight wiring (or at least you should do so).

What does it cost?
The reflectors are about $35/each and the M15/M17 bulbs run about $70/pair

What do you get?
Significantly more light where you need it: on the street in front of you. The light is spread in an evenly pattern.

Installation Problems (added Nov 24):
The headlight bucket needs to be trimed slightly to fit the bulb retainer. Nothing major.

Would I do it again?
You bet. I consider this the best $140 dollars I spent (among other things), especially now, that it's getting dark at 5pm.

Note:
there is also a headlight conversion kit available from Hella (check out http://www.summitracing.com) at about the same cost I believe. I went with IPF because I got a better deal from a friend. And remember: you can place any H4 bulb in these refelectors.

Legal note:
The IPF reflectors are E-code (european specifications) rated and may not be legal in your state. It's a matter of state laws, what headlights you can install. So check with your local laws. From what I heard, most states don't care, as long as it puts out white light, has upper and lower beam and is properly aimed. Some states explicitely allow E-code headlights.

Explanation:
E-code headlights focus more light on the street, compared to DOT headlights. Also, since the E-code headlight pattern is more even, wider and has a sharp cutoff across the top of the beam pattern, it's less offensive to oncoming traffic.

For more info on this conversion, you can also read Fourwheeler July 2002, page114. This articel came out after I did mine, but it sums it nicely, and includes the high output 90/145 H4 bulbs with extra wiring. Plus pictures of the beam before, with 55/60 W bulbs and with the HO bulbs.

For dealer information, contact ARB:
http://www.arbusa.com
[email protected]
phone: 206- 264-1669

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I have the Hella H4 head light conversion they are availble from many retailers mine came from a friend.I use higher wattage bulbs (90/100) white plazma (look like HID) so i also up graded my wiring to a relay driven.The only problem i encountered was that the headlight bucket needed to be trimed slightly to fit the bulb retainer minor work with a pair of tin snips.But as santak said these as with any E-code lamp are not DOT approved they dont have the provisions for the aiming device (3 nipples on glass)to attach too so some states may require a check with a inspection.
You will need to aim these diffrently due to beam output,and it is easier for those who carry spare parts H4 bulbs are small easily switched, avialable everyware used on most motorcycles,and come in manny diffrent wattages and coatings. These lights were a major improvement over stock due to their diffrent beam pattern and I would recomend them too everyone

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Bogie, you got any prices?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Summit has the Hella Reflectors for $39.95 each. Part# HLA-72207 (the 7" round reflector is HLA-70477). The bulbs are extra and prices vary depending on what you want, but I would expect that better ones run around $60-70 per pair or more if it's something high output, plasma super bright white extreme....you get the picture :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi guys I have seen some of you talking about the headlight conversion kits...Well I have done this, a friend of mine deals with truck parts and accessories, and got me the conversion kit he has in his catalog... All they are is the housing that the newer vehicles use and the light bulbs the kit uses are the, H4- Eurolite Xenon Super Plasma bulbs. Here is a pic of the replacement light kit and you should know what the stock ones look like. If you have any questions I will be more than happy to answer any questions... I almost forgot the kit cost $40.00 and the bulbs cost I think $17.00... I had checked with the local parts stores and they wanted any where from $400.00 to $1700.00 for a kit...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
the hella kit i got came with bulbs ill get the part number when i go in the garage but i added higher wattage bulbs.
White plazma (90/100)with 150/160 output from ebay cost 20 bucks unbeleivable output.The housings are about 40 bucks for either hella or ipf

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
The hella kit that I used says on the side of the box:
Hella halogen headlight conversion kit
H4 large rectangular high beam/low beam order no.72206 hella part no.1ae 003 427-861
doing a quick searck they are aviable at
www.rapidparts.com/Pages/vwc023p.html
www.desertrat.com/hella/hella.htm
for just a few any hella dealer should be able to order them
also look here this place had some others
http://www.demandmotorsports.com/MM071.ASP?pageno=39

·
Registered
190 Posts
Bogie said:
I have the Hella H4 head light conversion they are availble from many retailers mine came from a friend.I use higher wattage bulbs (90/100) white plazma (look like HID) so i also up graded my wiring to a relay driven.The only problem i encountered was that the headlight bucket needed to be trimed slightly to fit the bulb retainer minor work with a pair of tin snips.But as santak said these as with any E-code lamp are not DOT approved they dont have the provisions for the aiming device (3 nipples on glass)to attach too so some states may require a check with a inspection.
You will need to aim these diffrently due to beam output,and it is easier for those who carry spare parts H4 bulbs are small easily switched, avialable everyware used on most motorcycles,and come in manny diffrent wattages and coatings. These lights were a major improvement over stock due to their diffrent beam pattern and I would recomend them too everyone
I just wanted to add that I also have the Hella H4 conversion from Summitracing they were $40 each. They do have the three nipples on them and have a d.o.t. certification if you use the bulbs that come with them.

They are really nice and have a wide even pattern. The price was a little high though.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
They make diffrent modles the ones I have have no nipples and the glass if fluted diffrent so even if I had used the included bulbs they are not DOT approved

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the Hella H4 headlight conversion in my RC. I have been running them for about 5 years now. Before that, I was running them in my Toyota 4x for a couple of years. Mine came with stickers on them saying " For off-road use only." I run the 55/100w bulbs. That way I'm legal for low beam driving and have brighter high beams. They are a major improvemnet over standard halogen lights. They are well worth the expanse and time to install. 8){shades}

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Bogie, just be careful. I bought a pair of $20 high wattage lights off of ebay for my car. They ended up getting so hot that they melted the glass on the bulbs, turned my clear plastic headlights white, melted the bulb connector and melted the insulation off of the wires six inches back from the connector. The bulbs were advertised as being DOT legal "brand name", stock wiring no problem. I can't remember the brand name they ended up being, but it was some generic asian company.

Bogie said:
the hella kit i got came with bulbs ill get the part number when i go in the garage but i added higher wattage bulbs.
White plazma (90/100)with 150/160 output from ebay cost 20 bucks unbeleivable output.The housings are about 40 bucks for either hella or ipf

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
dodge8564 said:
turned my clear plastic headlights white, melted the bulb connector and melted the insulation off of the wires six inches back from the connector.
I dont think i will have this problem the hella lights have glass lenses and metal reflectors if these melt i may have other problems as foe the wiring my lights are run off relays with major overkill on the wiring so over heating them should not be a problem ;D

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Raminator said:
Does anybody make this conversion for 79's with quad headlights?
Yes, both Hella and IPF make the smaller square and round headlights. You will pay more though, about $40 per reflector. Just get low beams first if you are on a budget. :)

This is an old freaking question, probably been answered before now ;D

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Oh really? Would you be able to point me in the right direction for the reflectors? Where did you see them? :)

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Link 1
Two from IPCW, the more expensive ones are better (duh).

Link 2
Hella, off road use only...one is for high beams only (H1 bulb) and the other is low/high.

Summit carries them, but I can't find them on the site. You'll have to call them.

edit: edited the links, so they don't blow up the site

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Hella is a well known brand, but what about these IPCW reflectors? The price difference between the brands is pretty significant and I tend to wonder whether purchasing IPCW reflectors is ideal or if paying $45 per Hella reflector is purchasing the brand name.

Any experiences with either brand?

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
So if you get the lenses for the conversion, what bulbs do you get that would fit say a 90 RC...and is anything else required like relays, etc.?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RED90RC said:
So if you get the lenses for the conversion, what bulbs do you get that would fit say a 90 RC...and is anything else required like relays, etc.?
If you get the lenses for the conversion on a 90s RC (or any year with just 2 headlight lenses), you plug in any 55/60W H4 bulb that you desire. If you want higher wattage bulbs I suggest a relay kit for the headlight circuit to protect a) your switch and b) your factory wiring. But even with normal 55/60W bulbs, the relay kit is a nice thing to have but not required for the conversion.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts