Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what it says.. I can start it up 25 times and it runs perfect, and the 26th it idles so bad it nearly dies. This will continue for a day or so, then it runs perfect again. There is no misfire over idle, as far as I can tell. once you get it in drive it runs like it always did. Once you get back to idle, it sounds like it's running on 3-4 cylinders. Sometimes the bad idle will disappear after it's driven a while, sometimes it won't.

It has recently had new plugs, wires, rotor, dist cap. It's a dual pickup dist. 360 with a quadrajet. The old plugs showed no signs of previous fouling. No smoke out of the tailpipe other than a puff of oil smoke sometimes, which is fairly normal for a 25 year old vehicle in my humble opinion.

Coil maybe? It does seem to be leaking a little?? I am kind of clueless as to why it would be intermittent.
Most vehicles will run great or like crap, and not alternate between the two conditions.,,,,Cruisin

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Bump.

Coil?  Maybe.  But  my guess would be a poor electrical connection, probably a ground, elsewhere in the ignition system.

Did you say the coils is leaking?  Is it cracked; leaking oil?  If so - absolutely replace it ASAP.  That may not be your problem, but it will surely become one soon enough.  The coil will still work without oil, but oil keeps it cool.  You don't want your coil overheating and failing catastrophically.

If this were an older vehicle I'd immediately say "its the condenser", but, you don't have one, I don't think.  If there are no weak ground connections, no bad wires anywhere else, I'd look at the air gap of the hall sensor in the distributor and consider that the pick-ups themselves may be bad.  Have you ever replaced?  It takes maybe 3 minutes.  You can test the pickups with a multimeter and a 9v battery, but its a pain in the ass and a new pickup is not too expensive.

If this were a newer vehicle I'd also suggest the MAP sensor... but I don't know if your '86 RC has one (my '89 does, '84 does not).  Sometimes its as simple as a lose vacuum hose to the sensor.

finally, it could even be a failing O2 sensor that's intermittently sending a signal for too rich a fuel mixture.  Not likely, but possible.

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
l,d replace the coil and see what happens

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the crappy idle seems to be permanent now. I checked a few vacuum lines, and it barely improved if at all. I did find one curious symptom though. If I put my hand over the primaries on the carb, almost to the point of sealing it off, the idle will speed up, and it will stop missing, or seems to. Is this a leaky intake manifold symptom? Sorry, I never got the notifications.,,,,Cruisin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts