Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have an intermitant driveline vibration I'm trying to track down on my 98. I've narrowed it down to the transmission or the transfer case, but I'm leaning towards the tranny. It seems to only occur when I'm in overdrive, and only lasts for a few seconds.

I've checked the U-joints already, and cheacked the rear diff. (did a fluid change and visually inspected gears). While I was checking the U-joint, I rotated the driveshaft back and forth and noticed some slop in the transfer case. Since it's a chain driven unit, I expect there to be some play in it, but how much is normal and how much is excessive?

Also, before anyone jumps down my throat for not doing the obvious, I'm planning on dropping the tranny pan this week too look for any signs of excessive wear. I'm just waiting for a shift kit and deep pan to arrive before I do. If there's a problem with the overdrive unit, will any damaged material make it's way into the pan so I can see it? I'd like to be able to narrow down the culprit without removing either the transfer case or the overdrive unit and opening them up for a visual inspection.

Is it possible to rebuild just the overdrive unit? If so, who makes a rebuild kit? Also, who makes transfer case rebuild kits?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Yeah, his symptoms are very similar to mine. Any idea on where to pick up a rebuild kit for just the overdrive, or do I have to pay for a whole tranny kit?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts