1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
7,250 Posts
Goos idea, hope they got unstuck.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
I used to pull out a lot of the local guys when they got stuck.  I was one of the few people with a locker for a long time years ago.  I eventually quit after too many morons not hooking the chains up to something solid then them getting ticked off at me for ripping their bumper off.  I refuse to wade into the mud to hook up someone else's truck and when they get all bent out of shape because they didn't want to get dirty hooking to the frame and try to blame me for the damage, well that's when I call it quits.  Around here, 9 times out of 10 they are stuck somewhere they are not supposed to be, like on National Forest and I'm not getting my truck impounded for helping them.  When I put my winch on my phone rang at all hours of the night for a few weeks until people got the message that I wasn't using my truck to bail them out for doing something stupid like sinking their truck up to the framerails every weekend.  Maybe I'm just becoming an asshole as I get older, but I got tired of drunk idiots raising hell at me about their stupidity like it was my fault.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
"we just need a good 4x4 truck to come yank us out..."

Um, yeah...you need a DODGE!!!  ;D

·
Registered
29,663 Posts
atowinram said:
"we just need a good 4x4 truck to come yank us out..."

Um, yeah...you need a DODGE!!! ;D
No, they need to actually get the job done and not get another truck stuck.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
herostoryrory said:
Let me clarify...they need a DODGE to yank 'em out! ;D

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
herostoryrory said:
Or just stop trying to drive through a mud pit when there is little to no reason to get in it in the first place other than driving thought town with mud on their truck like some sort of ******* badge of manhood. ::)

·
Registered
29,663 Posts
Elwenil said:
Or just stop trying to drive through a mud pit when there is little to no reason to get in it in the first place other than driving thought town with mud on their truck like some sort of ******* badge of manhood. ::)
That isn't brand specific..LoL

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
Nope, stupidity comes in all shapes, sizes, brands, races, religions, etc.  It's an equal opportunity deficiency.  ;D

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with Elwenil about how people generally get stuck in places they don't belong doing things they shouldn't be doing, which it looks like these guys were doing when their luck ran out. I could be wrong though, based on where they say they are, it's a cut over pine plantation (not sure if it's state, federal, or company land) where a few new truck ruts will hardly be noticed in comparison to the damage done by logging forwarders and processors.

I also agree with making the "stuckee" hook to their rig because I don't want to be liable for damage to it, I guess I've never considered them getting pissed at me for their faulty hook up job. I'll take that into consideration next time someone asks me to pull them out.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
Yeah, I used to do it a lot.  It was sort of normal for people to expect me and my friends to be at the local hangout parking lot and someone to come get us to pull them out.  After a few discussions with the local LEO and USFS Rangers, I decided I wasn't risking my truck for someone else's foolishness.  I still pulled a lot of people out of the "open" holes that were in locations that no one really fussed about trespassing and that sort of thing but, as I said before, a few loud mouthed drunks wanting to blame me because the bumper they hooked too got bent or ripped off.  Finally it got to be much more of a hassle than it was worth.  I still still pull people out in the snow in the winter, but if someone gets stuck in mud, I leave them there.

·
7,250 Posts
I won't hook up to someone else's vehicle to pull them out, either mud or snow. They have to do it. I will hook up to mine, no one else is allowed to. Before anything is hooked up they have to agree, preferably before a witness, that I am NOT responsible for any damage to their vehicle. If there is no witness I have been known to make them sign a note to that effect. If they won't do these things, see ya, find another person to help out.

Chris

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I refuse to pull anybody out anymore. Unless it's snow and it only does that in great quantities 3-4 times a year around here. The people that get stuck are generally stupid, drunk, and have no money. Why break my vehicle that I strive to take care of and in one piece because some hilljack doesn't have any sense? They never are appreciative, offer to buy gas, maybe some food and if you're truck breaks trying pull them it's "Oh well, sucks to be you". Piss on 'em. I hope both trucks sink to the top of the tailgate.

Elwenil said:
Yeah, I used to do it a lot. It was sort of normal for people to expect me and my friends to be at the local hangout parking lot and someone to come get us to pull them out. After a few discussions with the local LEO and USFS Rangers, I decided I wasn't risking my truck for someone else's foolishness. I still pulled a lot of people out of the "open" holes that were in locations that no one really fussed about trespassing and that sort of thing but, as I said before, a few loud mouthed drunks wanting to blame me because the bumper they hooked too got bent or ripped off. Finally it got to be much more of a hassle than it was worth. I still still pull people out in the snow in the winter, but if someone gets stuck in mud, I leave them there.
Didn't read this before I posted. Sounds like you've had the same experiences I have.

·
Registered
423 Posts
people that bitch about damage are idiots,would you rather stay stuck and possibly miss work or replace your bumper

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Elwenil said:
Or just stop trying to drive through a mud pit when there is little to no reason to get in it in the first place
Eh???? Thats how my truck gets its excercise. No more or less "reason" then alot of people climb a pile of rocks. Only difference is that if the landowner of my mudpit discovers my truck in his backlot, he will pull it out with the dozer and put a ford sticker on my back window. He used to let anyone play back there till some fenceposts got taken out and litter became an issue.

Elwenil said:
other than driving thought town with mud on their truck like some sort of ******* badge of manhood. ::)
I did that when i was a teenager. The older i get, the less i want to work at cleaning off/out dried mud clumps.

They are likely knuckleheads, but boys will be boys. I wouldnt even try to get em out. 3:23's, and 31" rubber aint going where that picture was snapped.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.