Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I got my manifold and valve cover gaskets in finally, but I got a few problems and hope you guys can help me out pretty quick.
The valve cover gaskets are the right ones(all the holes line up and they are the same shape) but when I test fit them, they appear to be longer. I put the little tabs on the gasket into the slots on the cover, and when all was said and done, the holes were off and it seemed all bunched up. Will this go away when I put the sealer on and bolt it up?
Second ?
I test fit the manifold gaskets, and the side one went perfect, but the front and back gaskets are too long. They are so long in fact that they stick up over the side gaskets. I need to know if I have to trim them or not, because these are all I'm getting for a while, and I need to get my beast going QUICK because the new code enforcer is going around and any vehicle that doesn't have tags and isn't running gets hauled away....f**(( pricks....if all else fails I might have to do something drastic, like live in my truck, or start shooting at people. NOBODY'S TAKING MY BABY!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
On the valley end gaskets for the intake manifold I would follow common practice for alot of hipro aplications and discard the gaskets all together. Instead get yourself some ultra blue silicone (or your fav), cut of any tabs that might interfear with the seal, and lay down a genrous 1/4" bead of silicone across the valley ends. Be sure to get it all the way out to the edges of the intake gaskets to form a good seal between the two surfaces. A good layer of silicone, in my experience tends to outlast any of the cork or rubber end gaskets.

Good luck!!

Mike

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay then, in that case, I have *dun dun dun*"Permatex HIGH-TEMP RTV SILICONE Gasket Maker" (that's what it reads on the tube) It's orange, and sticky as hell. Will this work? Also, don't I have to put some around the intake gaskets? Top and bottom, right? And one continuous bead, correct? Lemme know, this is my first time. Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lemme know, this is my first time. Thanks
ahhhh, a virgin!!

the first time always hurts alittle.

that stuff will work just fine.

the coating of the intake gaskets kind of depends on the intake and the type of gaskets.

if it is stock intake and paper gaskets then a small amount around the water passages doesn't hurt.

if its a aluminum intake then you need to use the recomended gasket set for best results. Most of the "perma-torque" sets are frowned upon when use with aluminum.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
when you put the rtv on the intake gaskets, put a very thin film and no more.

Sounds like the valve cover gaskets are the wrong ones.

I always rtv the valve cover gasket to the valve cover, and don't use any between the gasket and the head. makes it easier to remove in the future.

felpro VS50184R at autozone is the correct gasket, and it is 11 bucks a set.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TheRamChargerMan said:
when you put the rtv on the intake gaskets, put a very thin film and no more.

Sounds like the valve cover gaskets are the wrong ones.

But the gaskets I got have the exact same bolt pattern and everything. Unless there's differences between valve cover lengths on 318s and 360s. I decided to use a chrome pair from a 318 that a friend gave me and ditch my old ones because they are all covered in about and inch of crud, and I didn't feel like cleaning them. Should I try them on my old valve covers, or no? Also, I just realised I needed a new thermostat. Can I use my old one for a while, or no? It's just temporary, just so I can move it to a different spot in my yard(right next to my window in my room)and get that enforcer off my back. lastly, do I spread a small amount over the entire gasket, or around the water jackets? Not sure. Lemme know guys and gals, and thanks
Matt

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I don't think the valver covers are different, as I have used 360 covers on a 318. You might want to try them tho, on the 360 covers, as they should not be bunched up.

yeah, as long as it works, you can use it. Put it in some boiling water and see if it opens smoothly, if it does, it'll probably be ok. AIf you have a thermometer to check the temp it opens at, that's even better.

Only put the rtv around the water ports on a stock engine. I put some around the intake ports on my engine, but it has aluminum heads & intake that have both been machined.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What happens if you use a little too much?

·
Registered
15 Posts
ok here is my take on this if i may use the rtv on the ends no gaskets if its orange permatex its prob the ultra copper it will do fine about a good 1/4 inch bead do not use rtv on the intake gaskets not a smart idea .if you can find it indian head gasket adheasive works well its almost the consistancy of shellac gone bad i found it a pep boys of all places i reccomend felpro gaskets for the intake they worked well for me over the last 15 years or so and there is no difference in valve cover lenght on the la small blocks the only difference is the bottom end ie the crank and journal size.otherwise you can swap many parts from one to the other except balancer on 360 and the crank well not without machine work.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, I have always used rtv on the intake gaskets...And Edelbrock even recommends using it on them for their heads and intakes. Felpro also recommends using it on the intake gaskets. No leaks due to this.

If you use too much, it will act as a lubricant, and let the gasket slide out of place as you tighten it down, and any uncured rtv can do the same thing later on as the engine heats up.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, thanks guys. Got another ? tho. I was talking to my friend yesterday, and he wants to put "a Big Block 360" in his 91 Dakota Magnum. This little truck rips ass as it is ( I watched him smoke a brand new Furd Powerstroke diesel at our "ghetto 1/4") and it came stock with the Magnum 318. I've onl been into Dodges for about 4 yrs now, and haven't heard of a big block 360. If there is one, I wanna know if they're worth a darn, and how much power they produce, how hard they are to find, etc. I figure if my friend is gonna butcher his truck like that, I'll give up my dream of having the baddest dodge in town and make his the evilest. Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
810 Posts
I think your friend is in need of a basic Mopar education. The 360's are all small blocks. They did have a 361 big block until 1967, but I doubt he would want one of those (low performance).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts