Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 85 truck has a intake leak . Its a 360 with a edlbrock intake . This is the second time in less than 500 miles (fresh motor) that i will have had to repalce the gaskets . First time i used Fel Pro stock replacment gaskets . I have since leared that they do not compress enought for the intake to seal . The second time i used mopar performace gaskets that elbroke recomends . Now they have blown out around the eghuast cross over . So its not your typical intake leak (blows out , does not suck in) Truck runs great no loss in performance . I have taken off the egr but the smog pump is still hooked up .

So I guess my question is what do you guys use for gaskets ? Brand an parts numbers would be great .

TIA
Daniel

·
Registered
561 Posts
1) Try installing the intake gasket set minus the front and rear seal. Use a nice thick bead of a high grade, (Permatex) silicone sealer that will compress more than the gaskets normally used for this purpose. Remove and smooth the excess squeeze-out with a soapy finger, (dish soap with a little water works great for this), to achieve a nice clean finish. Doing this should ensure maximum clamping force around the head ports.

2) Check (2) things....1) That the heat crossover isn't blocked causing the exhaust pressure to blow the gasket out and, 2) That you're not building up excessive crankcase pressure causing the gskets to blow out.

3) Printo-seal makes a high end gasket with built in silicone rings aroundn the ports in the gasket that tends to seal a little better than the average paper/composition gasket also.

One of these should solve your problem.

Dave 8)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I am in the same boat with regard to the intake leak. My 318 likes to blow out the front and back. Sides are good as far as I can see. Have done the seals at least 3 times in 10 months. Just my rant for the day

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I never use the front and rear seals, just silicone with fel-pro intake gaskets, you might also want to make sure your pcv and breather are working

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Runin' With The Devil said:
3) Printo-seal makes a high end gasket with built in silicone rings aroundn the ports in the gasket that tends to seal a little better than the average paper/composition gasket also.)
I was told that Printo-seal gaskets wont seal with a aluminum intake , cause they will not compress enough at the lighter torque spec . Is this wrong ?

Im not having any problems with the front and rear of the manifold (leared the silicon trick a long time ago) . PCV valve and breather is all new , the hole drivetrain is new , I didnt reuse any parts from the old motor (truck did not have a motor when i bought it) .

Daniel

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I've got the Fel-pro's in mine, never had a problem.
-Steve C.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
It doesn't matter if you use titanium, torque specs are torque specs use them they never change because of a material

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
It doesn't matter if you use titanium, torque specs are torque specs use them they never change because of a material
Thats not necassarily true. Edelbrock recommends 25 ft/lbs for thier aluminum manifolds.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Forget what edelbrock says and torque the intake to factory specs and you shouldn't have a problem. But I would just for kicks since it seems to be reaccuring use a straight edge and verify that the intake and the heads are flat and true, could just be an accidental defective part out of the box.

I have ran fel-pro gaskets and an edelbrock intake on me truck for 7 years now and not one leak not even a trace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts