Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered my instrument voltage regulator was shorted and 12VDC was coming through the 5VDC output.

Here in Canada, they wanted 90 bucks for a new one. I burst out laughing - considering one can just used a solid state 7805 regulator for 95 cents https://www.sparkfun.com/products/107

Anyway
I decided to spend 12 bucks and get a LM2596 Buck Regulator but was curious as to why no one else has done this, or at least I haven't found a thread indicating they have.

The 5v solid state 7805 just pumps out 5vdc - thats it - no play. But the old voltage regulator wasnt really 5v, it was more towards 6v so I figure using the LM2596 I can tweak the output range so my gauge ranges can be more accurate.

Just curious if anyone else has done this. I'll be wiring it in this week and will post pictures.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
There are a lot of different ways to convert the old regulators to more of a "solid state" style electronics instead of the pulsing bi-metal strip like original.  I remember one of the Mopar magazines doing a tutorial on how to do it with a few bits from Radio Shack back in the late '80s or early '90s.  I converted all my regulators over in the cars I had at the time and while it seemed like a good mod, I honestly couldn't really tell any difference in it.

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
I have done it twice, don't even remember now which truck I did, either the 85, or the M886. The other was my 86 RC, which has been scrapped  a long time ago because of the east coast rust. Nice simple project, and saves a ton of money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.