Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to install new rubber seal in the window post of an '85 Ram. Is it possible to install the seal without removing the door glass? Actually, I am replacing all the door and vent window rubber seals, but it appears that the post liner is the most challenging with the glass still in. If it can be done with the glass in, is there an easiest method to do this?

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
The easiest way is to roll the window down, unbolt/unscrew the vent frame and pull it out.  Then you can take the glass track off the rollers and set it down in the bottom of the door so you have access to put the glass runs in the channels.  It can be a bit tricky to get out, but I doubt you would ever be able to slide new runs down in the channels with the glass still in.  They aren't that stiff and they fit tight in the channel when new.  If yours has the clips for the long side, make sure they line up first and then fit the seal in the rest of the channel and trim the upper end as needed.  Remember it needs to fit tightly to seal and keep water out so don't trim too much.  Just my .02

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After I posted the question, I went back and looked at the Service manual again and tried to make sense of what it was describing about removing the vent window frame. The vent window frame is made integral with the window post, and it is removed as one piece by removing the top screw on the door frame and the bottom screw at the bottom of the window post?

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Yeah, it's not an "easy" think to get out since you sort of have to flex it a bit to pull it out, but once you get it angled around right it will slide out.  If it's tight and looks like you might scratch the door frame, put some tape over the paint to give it a little protection.  But yeah, the screw on the outside of the door  and the bolt down near the bottom through one of the access holes.  I want to say there may be a third bolt but I may be thinking of the '60s cars or something completely unrelated.  It's been a while, but I did the weatherstrip on the doors of my '88 a few months ago.  One thing drives out another, lol.  ;D

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
I've installed the track felts both ways , and its not much better either way , remove the fame or loosen the track on the other side to allow glass to move back away from vent track side , then fight to be sure rubber is PROPERLY inserted in the track ..... rubber has a shape / blip that goes into track edge when fully installed.... LOOK closely . 

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ Yes, I noticed yesterday that it is a very tight fit, and the seal really takes some maneuvering to get it into position. I may try spraying some silicone onto the back side of the seal to give it some lubrication.

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Try dish washing liquid.  It makes pretty good lube and will wash out without harming anything or causing any problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.