Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '78 RC FT 4wd 4sp. the question is if I install locking hubs on the front will that alone convert it to PT? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to that would be enogh. OR do I have to shift to LOC with front hubs unlocked to drive 2wd???

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Floyd said:
I have a '78 RC FT 4wd 4sp. the question is if I install locking hubs on the front will that alone convert it to PT?
No, the axle is just one component of the full time system. The other major part of the system is your transfer case. You need to convert it to PT or swap t-cases to one that is PT.

To install lock out hubs on your axle will first require a knuckle-out swap. Your unit hubs do not have provisions to install lock outs in them

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to that would be enogh. OR do I have to shift to LOC with front hubs unlocked to drive 2wd???
Your transfer case is designed to turn both front and rear at all times. Your t-case is equipped with a differential which only works in a non-lock position. If you try to drive the truck with the front axle disengaged and the t-case is shifted in a non-lock position, the differential will send all engine power to the side with least resistance and you go no where. You'll have to drive the truck with the t-case always in a locked position. However there is a PT conversion kit available for your t-case. The unit is made by Mile Marker and it's not too hard to install.

Ed

·
Registered
584 Posts
RXT is correct. Changing out spindles to get locking hubs is a pain and can be very expensive. A very good way to go, that is easy to install and cheap is the TC conversion kit from Mile Marker or Advance Adapters. I have had the MM conversion in my 75 PW (435/203) for years with no problems. It can be installed in just a couple of hours with the TC still in the truck. The kit eliminates the TC "internal differential" that allows for Full Time 4wd. I did not notice any great increase in mileage, but the truck was much easier to steer, most apparent when steering was turned to full lock on hard pavement, no more "hopping". What is does is give you true 2wd when not in the "LOC" position. The front axle parts still turn, the TC is not supplying power to them till you LOC it in. This can be real handy when offroading, use 2wd till you get hung up, and then just snick it into LOC and hopefully, off you go. Mile Marker does offer a locking hub kit/TC conversion for 1/2 ton trucks, the hubs are very wimpy and I have heard, and seen them break with very little provacation. I also discovered that with the conversion kit, I had "shift on the fly". Go with the Mile Marker TC conversion kit, has worked well for me. (75 3/4 PW, 360/435/203, pushing 300k by the way).

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
shift on the fly ??? I've had their kit for over 10 yrs, and have never heard or seen that as a benefit

their hubs have a lifetime guarantee too....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts