Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
figured i would go out today and attempt to install the CB in the truck.

will be taking pics and posting them to show the "troubles" you may run into on this project.

this is the cb, cobra model 29ltd will be mounted with a Wilson antenna

first problem is that there is no good place to mount the antenna (that is no good place to do it without drilling into the body which i dont want to do.)

here is the "lip" under the hood where most antenna mounts would hook to but as you can see if you used just a flat mount the hood would bang against it

did an online search and found a bracket for sale for this very thing at about $20 but i am cheap so decided i could make my own.

started with a $2 item called "the PLATE' designed to be mounted to existing CB antennae to mount magnetic based cell phone antennae to.

here is a pic of the "plate" with some minor modification to it so it will fit in the lip of the fender

here is a pic of the "plate" in mounted position first is with hood open and second is with hood closed to show new clearance of plate

will be posting more pics as the project progresses.

eric

·
Premium Member
17,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
next started with a standard horizontal mirror mount bracket i already had

placed top half of mount onto new plate on truck to mark holes to be drilled

and a pic of horizontal bracket mounted to new plate

after final install of antenna, since i wont be needing opening under the bracket to mount to mirror, i will be using it is a guide hole to run the antenna coaxial cable through.

will most likely also trim off excess bolt length that is not needed. dont think it will hurt anything to leave it but in the event of a real hard bend to bracket the bolts would have a potential to gouge the paint. by trimming excess i should be able to avoid this from happening.

more pics to come

eric

·
Premium Member
17,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and here is the pic of the antenna installed on new bracket

·
Premium Member
17,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as you will be able to tell from looking at the pics, mounting space on the dash anywhere is severely lacking. the one good space i could have mounted it to is taken up by my trailer brake box

so i decided the next best option would be the floorboard by the transfer case selector lever

the only problem i will have with it there is if i have a passenger in the middle seat, but that doesnt happen often so it should be ok.

·
Registered
513 Posts
That is where the one in my chevy is mounted.  The only problem is it is hard to see the display sometimes.  Mine is getting redone with an aluminum box covering up the aux. fuse panel with all my switches up front.  The top is angled and the cb screws down to the top.

·
Premium Member
17,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got a little lucky running the coax throug hthe firewall. the grommet for some of the wires was large enough to run the coax through as well

i then ran the coax and power wires under the carpeting to be out of the way.

there is a little plastic housing you have to remove to run the wires underneath. this is a pic of the area under the housing with wires ran

and one of the same area but with bracket mounted to floorboard

picture of same area with housing reinstalled and amount of wire i needed to leave out to connect ot radio itself

and the pic of radio fully installed and connected

pic of nice clean wire install (i hate extra wire hanging everywhere)

that is about all there is to it. just need to connect to a good ground and power wire connection is up to you. i prefer to hook it to a switched power source in fuse panel that way i dont forget to turn it off and drain battery.

eric

·
Premium Member
17,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
smoothedge69 said:
It's nice to have the center console on the RC. I mounted mine right to it.
yeah a console would have been nice. then again if i still had my old Midland radio i could have probably found a place on the dash to mount it. it was only about half the size of this radio.

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Very nice looking work, Eric. I'm still intrigued by the CB radio world, and would love to get in on it, if only my truck was closer to me all the time... just need an engine, haha...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts