Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so anyways i had my tranny rebuilt and re installed it over the weekend.now the truck wont start all the electrical stuff works except the spark.similar thing happened a long time ago when the fuel injection wires on the pass side got messed up.double checked that right away but all seems well.the truck ran before i pulled the blown tranny for rebuild all i touched electrical was disconnecting the battery before i pulled it.fault codes 11 and 12 show up now also.any suggestions ??? ??? ??? ???

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
sounds like you missed a ground wire somewhere.. I had the same problem when I swapped the head on my Dakota a few years back.. The wire had dropped back out of sight.. and was repeatedly overlooked. Mopars are very picky about having thier grounds.
Aaron

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont think its a ground because windows and heaters etc work fine engine turns over good to.just no spark at the plugs.

·
7,995 Posts
Fault code 11 is usually a bad hall effect sensor in the distributor or the wiring to it. Also check to see if there are any sensors mounted in the bell housing such as a Crankshaft Position Sensor?

Code 11 No reference signal during cranking
No camshaft reference signal detected during engine cranking.

Crank Position Sensor - No Start/Poor Performance
NO.:
18-04-92 Rev. A

GROUP:
Driveability

DATE:
Jul. 27, 1992

SUBJECT:
No Start/Poor Engine Performance

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 18-04-92 WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THE LABOR OPERATION NUMBER HAS BEEN CORRECTED ON THIS BULLETIN. REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS**.

MODELS:
1992 (AB) Ram Van/Wagon
(AD) Ram Pickup/Ram Cab & Chassis/Ramcharger
(AN) Dakota/Dakota Sport/Cab & Chassis
1993 (ZJ) Grand Cherokee

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Poor engine performance/no start can be caused by an intermittent electrical connection at the 3-way crank position sensor wiring harness connector.

DIAGNOSIS:

Verify that the 3-way crank position sensor wiring harness connector does not have any terminals that are pushed out of place. Reinsert backed out terminals fully into the insulator and ensure that they are locked in place.

Inspect the connector for damage, such as broken locking fingers or terminals. Inspect each female terminal for spreading by inserting a male pin terminal gauge (PN 4400110) into the female terminals. The gauge should mate snugly with the female terminals. If the gauge is loose or the locking fingers or terminals have been broken, replace the 3-way crank position sensor wiring harness connector.

NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLOSE DOWN THE FEMALE TERMINALS.

PARTS REQUIRED:

1 Wiring Assembly Package (Automatic Transmission AB, AD, AN, ZJ) 4723783

Parts Package Contents:
1 Wiring Assembly 4723814
10 1/4" Heat Shrink Tubing 4419644
1 Male Pin Terminal (to be used as a gauge) 4400110

1 Wiring Assembly Package (Manual Transmission - AB, AD, AN) 4723784

Parts Package Contents:
1 Wiring Assembly 4723815
10 1/4" Heat Shrink Tubing 4419644
1 Male Pin Terminal (to be used as a gauge) 4400110

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

This bulletin involves replacing the 3-way crank position sensor wiring harness connector.

1. With the ignition key in the OFF position disconnect the battery negative cable.

2. Cut the wires of the damaged 3-way connector at staggered lengths and place a piece of heat shrink tubing (PN 4419644) on each wire.

3. Cut the matching wires on the new 3-way to staggered lengths (allowing extra length for the solder connections) so that the length of the new wiring is the same as the original. (On ZJ, match the white with a black tracer wire on the vehicle harness to the orange wire from the repair kit. The other wire colors will match.)

4. Strip one half inch of insulation from each wire and twist each pair of matching wires together. Solder each connection using a ROSIN CORE solder. Center the heat shrink tubing over the joint. Using a heat gun, heat the joint until the tubing is tightly sealed and sealant comes out of both ends of the tube.

5. Install the wiring in its original routing and connect the wiring to the crank position sensor.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about #12 is there a reset for the battery conections after disconnecting the ground wire?how esle could direct battery connection be disconnected. ??? ;D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya just finished triple checking that again all looks good.the crank sensor is the only other thing i could have damaged with the tranny re and re ?????right? nothing else really electrical exept some of the tranny hook ups.i dont know, i hate wiring with a passion i do know that much

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Do you have all your linkages correct?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
thegrimreaper said:
i dont think its a ground because windows and heaters etc work fine engine turns over good to.just no spark at the plugs.
Just suggesting.. when we did mine.. everything seemed fine.. but it just wouldn't fire.. Gave up.. took it to a shop.. they replaced (coil, ecm, hall effect, crank sensor, redoing the timing belt) they gave up.. we brought it home.. and after a tip from my father in law.. we started double checking grounds.. and found one lone wire on the back of the motor that was missed. Seemed too simple.. Hooked it up.. and started the truck.
Aaron

·
7,995 Posts
thegrimreaper said:
what about #12 is there a reset for the battery conections after disconnecting the ground wire?how esle could direct battery connection be disconnected. ??? ;D
Either battery cable being disconnected or any interuption of main power to the computer will cause the Code 12.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Dodge 85 RC said:
that was my guess too.

·
7,995 Posts
Gotta diagnose the code 11. If the computer sees no pulse signal from either the Crank Position Sensor or the distributor it will shut down the ASD relay which in turn shuts down all fuel and ignition.:)

Testing and Inspection

NOTE:
To perform a complete test of the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) and its circuitry, refer to the DRB II diagnostic tester. Also see the appropriate Diagnostic Charts. To test the CPS only, refer to the following:

PROCEDURE

Near the rear of the right cylinder head, disconnect CPS wiring harness connector from main wiring harness.
Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C of the CPS connector. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if resistance is indicated.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dodge 85 RC said:
which linkages the tranny?what does that have to do with spark to the plugs?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya i brought the snap on scanner home from work today hopefully i can determine whether its the crankshaft position sensor or the camshaft position sensor in the dist cap thats the problem.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well no luck with the scanner,battery must be dead or somthing on switch wont stay on.oh well im just gonna pull the crank sensor and get a good look at it,after i unplugged it i tried the ign codes again and no difference in codes so hopefully im on the right track,it poured rain last night so the muds a callin ;D

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
thegrimreaper said:
Dodge 85 RC said:
which linkages the tranny?what does that have to do with spark to the plugs?
You never mentioned if it would turn over or not and if your shifter linkage on the tranny isn't adjusted properly it won't start, or even turn over.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ah now i get it sorry about that ya it turns over just no spark at the plugs,im in the middle of pulling the crank sensor now :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
finally got the crank sensor out,what an ordeal that was couldnt be any tighter back there sure enough must of tagged it puttin the trans back in right by the sensor to so i cant splice the wires back together just my luck

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Those crank sensors are fun aren't they? Try it on a 94+ truck if you think you have no room lol.
I was actually going to suggest making sure the trans is in park....glad you got it fixed

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i here ya there ive got a 94 2500 2wd that i was pondering whether the sensor would be the same or not but after popping the hood i was like screw that ill just get a new one from dodge.is there even after market availability on those

1 - 20 of 24 Posts