Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
29,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This shows how two lead sheets are sandwiched between an absorbant material (the white fabric looking stuff).
The white stuff actually has the electrolyte (sulfuric acid) absorbed into it. Note: Optima's are NOT gel batteries!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
KThaxton said:
Note: Optima are NOT gel bateries!
I learned that the hard way...by getting one to boil over through the vents! (don't ask) BTW--they are not "SEALED" either...my roomate and I have the acid burns on our arms to prove it :eek:

Thx for the pics :)

-SM

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
WTH did you do to boil it?
Previously had two batteries with an isolator. Still do not know how, but the isolator was sending one battery 14 volts and the other 20-22 volts :eek: Discovered it on first startup of the engine after I rebuilt it....ran for about a minute. Was already testing the charging system (upgraded alternator) when I discovered it....started boiling over while I was leaning over it testing. Shut it down, never could find the problem. Isolator tested fine. Even tried a new isolator...noi change. Unhooked everything from the battery but the positive (isolator-to-battery) wire and the ground wire. No change.

Finally just decided to go back to a single battery and everything is normal. Less weight and I do not need the extra battery anymore anyway, as the truck is only seasonally registered (smog testing.....ummmm, all original equipment is basically gone--except the block, crank, and head ;D )

-SM

·
29,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, sounds like fun.
They are as sealed as a battery can be though, under normal circumstances, you'd NEVER leak electrolyte, well actually, they can't leak but they can release vapors through the vents, as you know.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Another reason to locate the battery under the truck, so when testing like that no fear of explosions or acid boil over, and just plain piece of mind while under the hood working......Booooom Whoaaaa!!! wtf was that, the battery.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
i have a yellow top.... I like it pretty good.

G

·
How long did that Optima last and what made it "expire?" My red top is going on 4 years now and not a single problem with it.

I've also heard you can mount them in any position, sideways if you want, or mount them inside the passenger compartment.

·
29,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PrimerGrey said:
How long did that Optima last and what made it "expire?" My red top is going on 4 years now and not a single problem with it.
This one lasted me about 6 years. I averaged 2 years on a standard battery. I have another Optima in my other truck and it is going on 7 years. So they are definatley worth it to me.
I don't know why it expired, I suppose its time was just up.
I've also heard you can mount them in any position, sideways if you want, or mount them inside the passenger compartment.
Yup, all true. Since the eletrolyte is absorbed in the fabric type material, it can't leak.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
My red top is going on 10 years old. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Interesting - thanks for the pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Just my 2 cents. Heat and vibration are the killers of any battery (assuming the charging system is working properly). I had a standard lead acid battery in my Land Rover that lasted seven years and was still working just fine when I sold her. It was the battery from the factory so that is even more impressive when you think about the state of British electronics!

The battery lasted so long because it was in a compartment under the drivers seat, sitting on a vibration pad and was properly tied down. Yes I went off roading in her lots of times, even got stuck a few. Didn't have an electric winch though, but four big PIAA lights on the roll bar.

Cheers

Chris

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
trenton i admit under normal use these things will last a long time. just noting they arent indestructable but im sure thats obvious.

these batteries are put through some pretty hard core use so thats why they go out.

they are used as batteries for 5K and 10K generators. small diesels.

takes a lotta power to crank one. and these things arent ran long enough to charge the battery back up some times. occasionaly they are fired up to actually produce power and run extended periods of time. but most times they are fired up weekly just to see if they ll still fire up. plus they re exposed to much more heat and vibration since they are mounted in an enclosed box on a off road trailer.

but it is cool to see the optima's used as a OEM battery.

·
29,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah for some reason there's a lot of people out there that think they are invincible, they are not, but they are far better than standard batteries.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
im still wondering why generators are the only equiptment that uses updated battery technology.

ALL trucks tanks fork lifts and other moveable machinery at work use either 2 series wired 12 volt batteries or 4 series-paralell bateries. and old style at that. gotta check/top off water weekly. seems that it should be wiser to upgrade if the battery will last longer. expecially for the few trucks out there equipped with the slow ass 6K winch.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I use an optima in my '87 for the cranking amps. My cyl pressures are pretty high w/ ~10:1 compression.

I use an optima in my '00 because it has to take the abuse of a Fairbanks winter. If for some reason my battery heater fails, one or two of the cells can freeze and the battery will still start the truck---at least I get home. The battery will be toast, but it is a piece of mind thing. Optimas also have more cold cranking amps than just about any other 'standard' lead-acid battery that will fit in the truck; especially since their CCA's are rated at 0* F instead of 32*F like other batteries. 850 CCA at 0* is a LOT more than 1250 CCA at 32*

-SM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts