Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost finished swapping in a complete `93 Magnum drivetrain into my `77. I ran into a fairly large problem though, the injected fuel tank doesnt fit! Its considerably taller then the stock tank, that is no problem, space the bolts for the tank straps slightly and that will solve that problem. The big issue is the tank is hitting the crossmember that runs between the front spring perches. Lowering the tank will most likely remidy me of most of that problem, but I am still hitting the support that goes from the bottom of the frame up to the crossmember.

These are the options that I see. Swap in a tank from a similar year RC or van (need to check the measurements in the morning) or change the crossmember. Since the donor truck I used doesnt have any wiring on the back of it anymore (or anywher for that matter!) pulling the bed would be fairly simple. Same with mine since it is at the same point. Cut the crossmember out of the donor and put it in mine. Would be the most exact in terms of fit. The angled supports may not fit though due to frame height differences (will check). The van or RC tank would need extended lines, which is no big deal since I need to lengthen them anyway. I would have to extend the wiring for the pump if I move the tank to the rear. The biggest thing that is keeping me from wanting to move the tank is then my spare must be mounted in the bed. I can live with it, but Id rather not.

IMHO, running a pump outside of the stock tank would possibly be difficult due to the return style setup of the fuel system. I guess it could always be plumbed up to pull fuel from the return side before it pulls from the tank. That would eliminate the possible static buildup problem of dumping the fuel back into the tank.

Ideas? I know someone has to have run into this before.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I run returns on my cars, the pump is right at the tank on the outside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts