Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Italy ;D ;D,

I'd to tell you waht happened last week: I was quietly driving at cruising speed under heavy rain when the wiper intermittent switch burned. ???
A heavy cloud of smoke came from the gauge cluster, I stopped the Ramcharger and then I noticed that the wipers would not stop after the intermittent switch slided in the stop position.
After the smoke was over I came home, later I took apart the gauge cluster and found a broken intermittent switch with no more stop position and a burned brown EARTH wire.
Unfortunatelly that wire had been factory wrapped with the others under the gauge cluster, and so It melted and most of the other wires lost their rubber insulation due to the extremely high temperatures.
I carely replace the burned wire (more than one meter long) and I wrapped all the others with insulating tape; at the moment It's a half way solution, so I need to replace all the under gauge cluster wires
So could you suggest me an online shop who could sell me a complete wiring for my beloved truck ?

Marcello Sanarica

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
Well first off Welcome to the Site Marcello..do you know any good automotive electritions??it may be easier to repair what got damaged..BTW what year is your truck??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

My Ramcharger is a 318 4WD made in 1985, I rebuilt from the wheels to the top during the last four years, besided It's the sole Dodge Ramcharger you may find in Italy. GREAT ;D ;D ;D
There not good or not expensive technician here, and as I think to be enough experienced to work on cars and bikes I think the best next step is to replace the wiring.

Thanks

Marcello

·
7,995 Posts
Hi Marcello, I doubt that you will find a brand new wiring harness, I'll take a look around for you. You may be able to get another USED harness from here in the states?
You say the wires melted...did any of the plastic connectors melt? These are hard to find replacements for....sometimes. The worst case scenario you could always remove the harness from your truck and send it to me and I'll repair it for you, that's if it's plastic connectors are still in good shape. Get back to us.:)

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
If you can do without it for a while, Stevo (Chump) could build you a good replacement.

For a universal "kit" the guys sell a cut-to-fit package, but you have to do the terminals/plugs/sockets.
http://www.painlesswiring.com/catalogframe.htm

·
Registered
357 Posts
Wow maybe I will take the R/C with me to Italy when I transfer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys,

The connectors are in great shapes, the melted wire had been replaced by a larger wire, the others are in goos conditions, but due to the heat during melting down needed to be re-insulated as the rubbers insulation was in a sorry condition.
At this step the bad wire has benn replaced, the others are wrapped by insulation tape.
There's one friend of mine (It's a forum registered user also) who will head to a scrapyard this weekend, and He'll look for a wiring harness for me !
THIS IS TRUE COOPERATION !!

THanks again

Marcello

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
has anyone ever noticed that the minute you toss some parts you dont need in the dump, then someone needs something.

i just got rid of a complete wiring harness out of an 84 rc about 3 weeks ago.

marcello, if you dont find one let me know, i could probably round you up one.

eric

·
7,995 Posts
JackedRamcharger said:
hey chump how much to rebuild a wire harness???
I dont really have any price in mind right now, what would be nice is to get a donor from someone that I can look at and fix/rebuild. I'm trying to figure out what all I might need to do this on a regular basis as there is not a freeking person that will do it commercially! Getting some of the Mopar terminals and stuff is a royal PITA! IM or Email me and we'll see what I can do. I could use a guniea pig and his/her harness! ;D

G

·
Where do you find the connectors to replace burnt/broken/mangled connectors at? Is there a supply house that sells them. I have a couple of cars that need some repair.

·
7,995 Posts
78TrailDuster said:
Where do you find the connectors to replace burnt/broken/mangled connectors at? Is there a supply house that sells them. I have a couple of cars that need some repair.
78TrailDuster...it kinda depends on what you are working on but the first step is usually to get a Factory Parts Manual and there will be several pages of terminals and connectors listed there. I have a bunch of books also from independent suppliers, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts