Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need more fuel capacity in my Club Cab. I need to stop 3 times to gas up just to make it to Moab! The stock 21 gallon tank is tiny (and my mileage sucks). I have a 26 gallon aux tank I can install, but I want more.

I'm looking for a fuel tank that mounts in the bed. I'd prefer something around 80-100 gallons. Oh yeah, and as cheap as possible. Most brand new tanks run around $700-$800, but I have found one for about $400. I'd still like one for about half that.

If you guys find one, or know someone selling let me know. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's called a transfer tank. And no, not really, but it is a possibility. What I'd really like is a fuel tank I can flip a switch and just run the engine off of it.

I could use a transfer tank and just modify it by welding in a bung or some kind of pick up, but a brand new, unused tank, would be best for that. ;D

I've also considered just plumbing the bed tank into the main tank, and using a cheap electric pump to "refuel" the main tank while cruising down the road. Theres lots of different ways to do this, and I'm pretty flexible.

What I'd also like is a tank that would fit under my bed cover, if I ever get it repaired, but thats not required. I might just permanently switch to my camper shell.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about it. My brother does have a 35 gallon RC tank I could use. But that's still not enough fuel. I want to be able to fuel up where's it's the cheapest, drive to Moab then back w/o the bother, or expense, of filling up again.

I was looking at Ramman's RC tank in his crew cab post. It looks good, I just want more.

·
29,380 Posts
Want want want. ;D
You'll be hauling 600 lbs of fuel around. How much would you really save by buying your gas up north? lets say its $.20 (which is probably a very generous figure) more a gallon down there, and you use 100 gallons to get there and back. Thats only $20.00 difference (again, a generous number). Would it be worth it?
Then we could really split hairs and talk about the decreased mileage of carrying all that extra weight around!
Where's Guy, he loves to split hairs!
Guy, yoo-hoo, Guy???? :)

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, it's not so much the price, but the hassle. When you can't go much more than 100 miles on a single tank on a 600+ mile trip, it's a pain. I usually leave my house, and top off in Brigham. Fill-up in Spanish Fork, then again in Wellington. Roll into Moab on gas fumes and fill up again. Run around town, gas up before I leave town, then repeat my stops. Last time I had a bad head wind leaving Moab, and burned over a 1/2 tank just getting to Green River, and then almost another 2/3 tank getting to Wellington.

I'd like to just drive the whole trip, non-stop. 600 lbs of fuel isn't a big deal.

·
29,380 Posts
Don't you need to stop to pee? ;D
I agree 21 gallons is small and it would be very annoying to stop every 100 miles, but an additional 35 gals from an RC tank should have you whistling dixie, I would think?

600 lbs of fuel isn't a big deal.
Show off! "Ooooh look at me, I have a 440" :p ;D
I can feel mine lug more on a good grade with full tank of gas verses an almost empty tank. :-[

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KThaxton said:
"Ooooh look at me, I have a 440" :p ;D
LOL, you nut case. :p

A 6000 lb truck, a 1800 lb trailer, a 5000 lb RC, 2 passengers, up to a 1000 lbs of gear, and adding another 600 lbs of fuel seems like less of a big deal. ;D ;)

And no, I can handle a 6 hour trip w/o stopping to pee, usually. Actually, If I didn't have to stop, it may be more like a 5 hour trip.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's kinda what I'm looking at:
http://www.futurexauto.com/Fueltool.htm

They have a 100 gallon aux tank for $463.50, 45 gallon for $358.50, and a 134 gallon for $404.25!
They also have transfer tanks, 97 gallon for $339.75.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
KThaxton said:
I'm also looking for an in-bed aux fuel tank. I know there are 100-gallon tanks manufactured. I have a 2003 HO Diesel and I tow an 8500# race car trailer over the Sierra's every weekend. I have installed an Edge Juice chip that really helps me tow over the hills, but when I hit headwinds the fuel mileage drops down to near 11 MPG and that requires too many stops at places where Diesel costs as much as $.50 more than it does at home. A 100-gallon tank would allow me to fuel up where prices are reasonable and would allow me to make my normal 1,000-mile weekend tows without stopping for fuel - oh BTW I do stop to pee - a lot ever since my wife has me drinking a full 2.3 litre water bottle every day, but I can do that at my convenience. Thanks for the help. JR

·
Registered
931 Posts
Stop to pee?  Isn't that why they invented the wide mouth sports drink bottles?  They are called trucker bombs, becuase truckers use them, then throw them out the  window when full.  Notice to hitch-hikers!  That is NOT a bottle of lemonade you just found!

I make the trip from Phoenix to Logan about 6 times a year, and  I  carry an extra 5 to 10 gallons because my gas guage isn't reliable and my mileage varies depending on load, trailer pulling, etc.  Fredonia usually has good prices compared to Kanab, Nephi is almost always
relatively cheap, and then North Ogden/Brigham City area is about the cheapest.  The Hyde Park station isn't too bad.  Anywhere else is usually quite a bit higher. 

Try posting a  "Wanted Item" on Craigslist.  I just found an aluminum 25 gallon in-bed tank on Craigslist here in AZ that some guy listed for $40.  He could have sold a lot of them if he had them.  I was the first caller and moved fast.  Aux tanks, whether in-bed, under-bed, anywhere, are not cheap.  But the convenience factor of having one is nice.  My neighbor has a Ford Diesel truck that he uses to pull a 5th wheel trailer, and he has a combo tool box/fuel tank (mostly tank) in the front of his bed.  That works for him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK - Here's what I did and how it's worked out. I contacted Transfer Flow, Inc. in Chico, CA. They make a number of tanks and tank/tool box combos. I decided on their largest - a 98 gallon tank. I took it over there (although you can do it yourself), had a 7:30 A.M. appointment, and was out the door by noon. The new tank was professionally installed and I love it. It is completely automatic and comes with a computerized guage that tells you how much fuel is in your main tank, how much is in your aux tank, total fuel and whether the transfer pump is pumping or not. The original fuel guage reads accurately for the TOTAL amount of fuel in the vehicle, so it takes a while to realize that when you read 1/4 tank you don't have to start looking for fuel as you still have over 30 gallons of fuel on board. I have found it to be accurate within about 10%. It means I can tank up where I can find the best price on fuel and can make round trips of 1300 miles comfortably and that is when I am towing a 36', 9500# gooseneck race car trailer over the Sierras every weekend in racing season. Yeah, when full of fuel it adds 600 pounds or so to the truck, but that's less than 3% of the total weight, and with the HD Cummins along with the Edge with Attitude and the muffler eliminator kit you don't even notice it. The tank and installation meets all State and Federal regualtions.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Is there a company that makes under bed side 'saddle" type tanks? I have a 20 gallon where the spare tire would go, but would like to add more range on my '73 W100 360.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
so just out of curiosity, since we have managed to build everything else on our trucks, why couldnt a person just get the materials and weld up their own tank? then you could build it to the size and shape you wanted and most likely at a fraction of the cost of buying one.

eric

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
intenseimages said:
so just out of curiosity, since we have managed to build everything else on our trucks, why couldnt a person just get the materials and weld up their own tank? then you could build it to the size and shape you wanted and most likely at a fraction of the cost of buying one.
The only issue I have would be the tank material. Steel will rust, and anything more than .065" or .083" would be heavier than needed, but that thin wall is tough to weld w/o porosity. Aluminum would be ideal, but I personally am not capable of welding it. Basically, for a steel, stainless, or aluminum fuel tanks, tig welding would be the ideal method of welding it.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Corey said:
Is there a company that makes under bed side 'saddle" type tanks? I have a 20 gallon where the spare tire would go, but would like to add more range on my '73 W100 360.
You could try a 45 gallon Ramcharger tank - Ebay link

1 - 20 of 25 Posts