Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's taken a few people helping me just to get to this point, but down the rabbit hole I go...

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
Haha! I'm with you there buddy!

Once I started pricing gears and such for the D44/C9.25, I simply couldn't live with myself knowing I put a ton of good money into 1/2-ton axles. I'm only running 35" tires, maybe 37" if I eventually stretch the front fenders, but I really wanted the bigger brakes and the "apocalypse" durability of the Dana 60/70 combo.

It certainly does turn into quite the rabbit hole endeavor. I used the axles as a good excuse to also rebuild all the springs and frame bushings. Then I figured I might as well do it correctly and swap to the 1-ton booster and M/C. Then the brake lines didn't want to unscrew from the axle hoses easily, so I picked up a roll of CuNi brake line and new gravel guard and will get those ran during the week. Now the driveshafts are on their way for cutting/balancing at Adam's Driveshaft in Nevada. I figured since the driveshafts were out, might as well change the leaking output shaft seal on the trans, and if I'm doing that, might as well rebuild the t-case too! ;D

·
Registered
467 Posts
Man all this sounds same as if you were reading my build sheet ! But now you have real truck parts that are tuff as a nail ! Keep the old Dodge alive and kickin , these were American build trucks , not Moms new SUV to haul the kids in .

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
9.25 is out. My plates from Jungle won't be here till Friday. So not too much more I can do till then other than get the D70 slid under the truck.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

These are the wheels my wife picked out. She loves them.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And the front D44 is out.

Compared to the D60, the D44 is "a cute little axle" as my wife put it.

This stuff Jungle sent me is going to make a nice addition to the truck.

·
Vendor
11,786 Posts
Just a note;
The 2 grease bolt kits for the front of the front spring have 2 7/8" DOM sleeve. The ones in the HD frame bushing are 3" so don't mix them up.
Jim

PS;
The grease fittings in the 2" DOM on the weldment face the rear of the truck.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's in LT285/70/17 are on the truck.

New front springs will be here next week

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Jungle, so what's the trick to getting this shackle hanger off?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got the hangar off....bigger hammer and a harder swing

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Jungle. I got everything on the passenger front *almost* done. The front of the spring was a tight fit so I figured I jack the axle up to lift the spring into place and ended up boogering the bushing sleeve. Any chance you can put another one in an envelope and send it to me?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jungle said:
Send me PM with your mailing info. Is that going into the OEM Dodge hanger?
Jim
Yes, it was just a few MM too wide. This truck is a 74 RC, that's never been modified before. (before now that is anyhow)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I suspect I did exactly what you warned me about in the above post to not mix up those bolts.  :(

I ended up sanding another one down to fit.

I’m going to pull the rear shackle bolt out today and see if I screwed that up too.  If I did, that means I’m down two of the long (rear) sleeves.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Just gotta figure out what to do about the rear now.

·
Registered
794 Posts
jungle said:
Your going to like the bigger axles & bigger brakes.
Jim
The bigger brakes are an absolute upgrade! I cannot believe how well my Ram stops compared to the 1/2-ton baby axles.

·
Registered
794 Posts
shanker said:
Just gotta figure out what to do about the rear now.
You gonna regear or add any traction aids?

What tire size did you end up with too?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pc1p said:
You gonna regear or add any traction aids?

What tire size did you end up with too?
285/75r17 (33" tire essentially) and the D70 has 3.54 gears which should work out great for where I'll be driving it (Beach, Ranch, and Work)

but I'm trying to come up with a game plan on how to end up with 4.75" of effective lift without sacrificing any ride quality so that it sits level.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.