Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I've been gone for 5 days, just got home today. I towed the RC down to Moab for the 2003 Easter Jeep Safari. What a blast!

The plan was to wheel for two days, and play the third day by ear.

Long story short, I blew the rear drive shaft on a bad bounce at the end of the second day. It destroyed the yoke on the driveshaft and the yoke on the rear of the transfercase. But I still had a lot of fun.

Saturday I ran Kane Creek, and Sunday we ran the Golden Spike. These pics are from the Golden Crack on the Spike. It's not the hardest obstacle on the trail, but it is the most popular. I drove straight across the crack. There was plenty of dragging and scrapping, but that lincoln locked rear end just kept pulling. {cool}

I'm too tired to get the rest of the pics up loaded today. ;D

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually it was recently shortened with a new rear yoke.

To simply repair I need a new slip yoke, which may require the shaft be resplined. Also I'd need to replace the rear t-case yoke, but thats no problem.

I just can't decide if I can afford to upgrade the u-joint and yoke however. I clearly need something stronger. The factory joint at the rear t-case output is puny.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
First, i must say that your RC looked killer going over that crack and I wish I was there to hear you scraping that sucker across it!
I had a question since we are talking about driveshafts. I have a slip yoke on my rig and was wondering if it is better to have your yoke fixed or slip? I have heard too many pros and cons for each to make up my mind...Slip seems to work for now, but I evolve in wheeling every time I go, so I'm thinking I need to evolve my truck too. ;D

·
Super Moderator
30,043 Posts
Yeah, lets see some more pic's. That's the way I prefer to see the Moab People Safari, in photo's. ;D ;D
How does an RC's wheelbase do on "double whammy"?

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KThaxton said:
Yeah, lets see some more pic's. That's the way I prefer to see the Moab People Safari, in photo's. ;D ;D
How does an RC's wheelbase do on "double whammy"?
Moab Easter People Safari huh? LOL I skipped Double Whammy, it looked like more than I wanted to try. Besides, a black TJ had just rolled off of it when we got there, very bad mojo, if you know what I mean.

More pics, you asked for it, here we go.

Day 1, EJS - Kane Creek Canyon

50 vehicles, I was about 10th or 12th in line.

My buddy Josh.

Notice the tiny Jeeps and 4 guys standing on the trail in the top right of this pic, the trail wasn't very wide.

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Day 2, Golden Spike (and Poison Spider, and Gold Bar Rim)

...and then I broke the rear shaft on Body Snatcher. Drove out on front wheel drive, but I had to get strapped up a few climbs thanks to Troy in the '72 Blazer.

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Day 3, The Proving Grounds

Since the RC was broke, and resting peacfully on the trailer, I drove the Club Cab. No I didn't wheel it. I did have to shift into Low to get down the rocky, sandy trail to the Proving Grounds, but that was it. All of us walked the trail. This is where all of the big dogs run.

Here are few pics of the narliest obstacles.

Here are the two permanent winch anchor points above that last obstacle pictured above. These appear to be 14-bolt or Dana 60 axle shafts wedged into holes drilled into the rock.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Looks like you guys had a hell of a good time, aside from the break down. ;D

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
428 Posts
did no one else get the same first impression from the title to this post? You know what i mean.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
killer shots TV, i have seen those places in mags,, and it looks like traction city,, some day i'll make it there,, and go where the big dogs run,lol,, again,,{cool} cool pix man

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dodgeman said:
killer shots TV, i have seen those places in mags,, and it looks like traction city,, some day i'll make it there,, and go where the big dogs run,lol,, again,,{cool} cool pix man
Someday I hope to organize an RCC Moab trip, maybe you could make it then. That would be cool.

BTW, for those interested, I think I burned almost 120 gallons of 91 octane in the Club Cab in the 600+ mile round trip! :eek: The RC's fuel usage was on top of that.

Also, I can't believe Randall hasn't said anything about me dragging the rear bumper over the Golden Crack after all the crap I've given him for being a bumper dragger. LOL :p

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
tv_larsen said:
BTW, for those interested, I think I burned almost 120 gallons of 91 octane in the Club Cab in the 600+ mile round trip! :eek: The RC's fuel usage was on top of that.
damn, thats a whole lot. i hope i get better on the way to Ram Jam

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.