Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. last winter i belive my igniton switch started to go bad(the one on the bottom of the steering coloum). it started off with not doing anything when i turned the key so that i had to grab the little rod that runs down the side of the coulom it self to start the truck. I went to go take it out one day but never got it done, i guess while i was fiddling with it something happend, it starts with a normal key turn now but i dont have a asscory postion anymore and my blower fan stoped working, anywho im going to hopfully get a replacement today. im just wondering do you guys think that the switch is the problem with my blower? i would really like to have working heat for this winter.

Thanks Guys,
                  Taylor
PS. what happend to spell check?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Check your fuses.  The switch could be the problem, but I would doubt it.  I would however, get the switch in working order before chasing the blower problem.

G

·
the ignition switch shouldn't have anything to do with the blower..

i would do exactly what silvermopar1, first fix the ignition problem, and it could be just your locking cylinder...

so apparently i'm not the only 17 year old on here  ;D

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
Kenneth Turcotte said:
the ignition switch shouldn't have anything to do with the blower..

i would do exactly what silvermopar1, first fix the ignition problem, and it could be just your locking cylinder...

so apparently i'm not the only 17 year old on here ;D
STOP GIVING ADVICE. You don't know what you're talking about. The blower and other accessories gets powered through the ignition switch. If he's lost the accessory position he could easily have a switch problem. It might not be it, but it certainly is on the list to consider.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I agree with ToxicDoc, this is exactly what happened to me about 8 months ago.  Blower stopped working along with the radio and all other accessories.  I searched on here and looked at the schematics in my FSM to determine the problem.  I pulled the switch and casing was deformed from the heat, not melted exactly but this turned out to be the problem precisely.  It is held on with two bolts if I remember correctly so a visual inspection should be easy enough to complete.  You can also disconnect it and do an Ohms check with it still on the column.  Granted you have to a bit limber to do it in the truck.  Also you have to work the rod out of the switch it doesn't just pop out so beware not to bend your ignition rod.  Good luck and let us know.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup like i thought it turned out to be the switch with the blower, im pretty happy ;D.

BUT, while i was taking the switch out i was trying to remove the connectors with a little screw driver, yes i know not the smartist thing but i just couldent get them off the old switch, i touched one of the prongs with the screw driver(once again i know not disconecting the battery was not the smartist thing)BUT for the first time ever i heard my power locks work in the doors, it did indeed lock my doors, but i couldent reciporcate it again, i though hey ??? maybe with my new switch i will fianly have locking doors! NOT!. Any Ideas guys
Kenneth Turcotte said:
so apparently i'm not the only 17 year old on here ;D
no your not,but im sorry no hostileitys intended, i have to agree with toxic doc. Im always trying to learn new stuff about these trucks, me and my dad have quite a few old dodges, im very proud of what i know about the oldys and what i learn in school and on from the forums. I hope to be a auto tech someday. so i would just lay low and soak up as much info as you can and help out when you can.

Taylor

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
littleboybigtoy said:
so i would just lay low and soak up as much info as you can and help out when you can.

Taylor
8)

More reading, less responding.

unless you like doing these kind of jobs repeatedly, add a relay. It will protect your ignition switch. Kind of a body guard that takes the bullet. It also happens to wear more armor and be cheaper/easier to replace. My kind of upgrade.

·
7,250 Posts
Problem is Kenneth, you are giving advice about things you know nothing about. Most of what you have posted is wrong. Lay low, learn as much as you can, and avoid giving advice about the things you know little or nothing about.

Chris

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kenneth Turcotte said:
and like i'm not????????

my autotech school starts in 14 days, i wish it started NOW!
Don't loose heart. School is an excellent foundation on which to build experience. But even school is no substitute for years of experience. It takes time. Be patient.

When I was your age, I thought if I had credentials I would some how be respected in my field. Since then I've found myself with four degrees. The greatest lesson I have learned is that I have so much more to learn. The knowledge will come with experience. The respect will come when you know when to share it. That part's easy. You won't have to find people to tell what you know, they'll come to you.

People come to this forum for help because people like joe s, toxic doc, dodgeboys, and others share consistantly reliable information based on real, time achieved, experience.

If they get bad advice, they won't come.

·
Registered
399 Posts
best piece of advice I ever received was "learn to listen and you'll know when to speak".  Like most here I come here to learn as much as I can ask questions about problems I'm having.  I'm planning a major rebuilt for my truck so I will be relying on the expertise here when I get back from Iraq.  Good luck with your training and I hope you learn as much as you can! You will be giving help to guys like me before long.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm trying to find a way to bypass that lower column switch. I have a spare, but who knows what contition it's in. I could be in You position someday. Good luck, and let Us know what happens.
Rebel Wreck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts