Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 75 RC is set up to start on a push button, it has been this way since I bought it, you have to turn the key on then push this starter button that is wired to the relay. Everyone I asked told me it needs a new ignition switch so I bought a new one and installed it today, but the truck will still not start without the push button. what else could be the trouble? maybe the relay?? any help would be appreciated. thanks! Rob

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Did you adjust the ignition switch correctly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
it sounds like you just replaced the switch but the wiring must have been altered for the push button.if there are two wires at the push button one is comming from your ign harness and the other is to the starter or relay.you need to disconnect the wire from the starter at the button or relay and reconnect it to the ign harness.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jawbuy said:
it sounds like you just replaced the switch but the wiring must have been altered for the push button.if there are two wires at the push button one is comming from your ign harness and the other is to the starter or relay.you need to disconnect the wire from the starter at the button or relay and reconnect it to the ign harness.
That makes sense, but the two wires that are connected to the starter button are hooked to the two posts on the relay. when I first got the truck the guy I bought it from said he put the button in because sometimes the key would not start the truck, It did work with the key for a while when I got it and then one day the key just quit working so I started using the button. ???what now?? ???

·
7,995 Posts
Ok...that's a different story all together. So he has one wire to 12 volts on the relay and the other to the solenoid terminal. I'll look for the appropriate wiring diagram. do you have a manual tranny or automatic?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chump said:
Ok...that's a different story all together. So he has one wire to 12 volts on the relay and the other to the solenoid terminal. I'll look for the appropriate wiring diagram. do you have a manual tranny or automatic?
automatic tranny

·
7,995 Posts
First off your starter relay should like very similar to this picture and have 4 terminals for wires...does it?

Tell me how many wires are on each terminal and their colors. Also is there an orange wire that is just floating around near the relay? Test the orange wire for 12 volts with the key in the "start" position.
I have posted a wiring diagram from a 77 service manual and the "starter relay circuit" is the same as the 75.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes the starter relay looks like the one pictured. I will have to wait till I get home this evening to tell you what wires are connected to it. I will post again then. Thanks, ROB

·
7,995 Posts
PlymouthRock said:
could it be the neutral safety switch?
Yes or the wiring to it. Thats why it would be good for you to tell me whats on the relay and then we can try a few things. There is no telling what has been done to the wiring? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.