Dodge RamCharger Central banner
101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1977 dodge w200 power wagon
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
tomorrow I’ll go to the truck and label each prong of the ballast resistor. It’s almost 1 am . Stayed up a little later than I thought
Now before you make more of a mess of your truck lets get back to basics , follow the diagram below and tell what you have at/on all the ballast terminals

·
Administrator
62,046 Posts
Thats what all my carbed dodges are sportin, they have all worked great.

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Electrical wiring Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Thats what all my carbed dodges are sportin, they have all worked great.

View attachment 630221
after the headache I’ve had with the ECM. The ballast resistor. No spark. And ohm testing everything. And testing everything. I’m done with the ancient dodge technology.
This HEI Distributor will bring my motor into the 20’th century.. and all them headaches will be obsolete. Not hooked up . Not needed.

One wire. You supply power and it will run . It don’t get more basic than that.

·
Administrator
62,046 Posts
after the headache I’ve had with the ECM. The ballast resistor. No spark. And ohm testing everything. And testing everything. I’m done with the ancient dodge technology.
This HEI Distributor will bring my motor into the 20’th century.. and all them headaches will be obsolete. Not hooked up . Not needed.

One wire. You supply power and it will run . It don’t get more basic than that.
Its is not quite that simple. You will either need to wore in a separate switch to give power to the dist. Or get fancy with some wiring.

The ignition switch cuts the power to the ECM (Run circuit) when the key is in the start position. It is done so you do not have power going to the alt, choke, and other things while cranking. mainly so the alter does not create electrical spikes while getting to speed. But You cannot just take the wire that bypasses the ballast(part of the start circuit) and hook it up with the run wire, or the starter will keep cranking after you let go of the key.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Actually a magneto is the most basic ignition. No power wires to it. Just crank the engine, it fires!

Bucky

Reactions: DODGEBOYS

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
It arrived today .
I got a guy coming over who just installed one in his truck to put it in for me .
He said the power wire will be on a relay . I’ll be paying close attention to the installation. First time ever fooling with a HEI.

·
Administrator
62,046 Posts
Pics, do not forget the pics. ;)

Reactions: Porch honky

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
It’s just in time also .
We have a local mud bog doing their thing this weekend.
The dodge will be there. No heavy playing for me . I’ll putt around in the kiddie pool .
I still need to go thrift the drivetrain before I’m ready to play.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts