Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1977 dodge w200 power wagon
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I allways try to stay away from wiring or put a issue on a toggle switch. If possible on my other vehicles..
I won’t even change a wall socket in the house !!
When I first got this truck my ol-literate cousin who can’t read or write “ who knows fords well” was messing with the dodge while I was at work .. trying to help. And ended up melting all the plastic off one of my wires coming out of the ignition switch pigtail. The wire that goes to the ballast resistor. It melted all the way up into the dash bundle ( I assume that goes to the fuse box ??). I don’t do wires.. but now I’m forced to face my nemesis’s.
THIS WILL BE A 1977w200/m880 ( has the plate on the dash ) power wagon

First thing I did was order a HAYNES manual for that truck. Replaced everything electrical under the hood .. coil. Ballast. Ecm’. Voltage regulator. Alternator. distributor cap and button.
I have 2 wires coming out of the pigtail spliced toghter … why I don’t know.
I’ve been up all night searching this website.. watching you tube videos on it and looking at the wiring diagram in my manual . And I can honestly say I’ve learned nothing !!!! Wires ain’t my cup of tea at all.. and this diagram may as well be written in Chinese… I understand absolutely nothing I’m looking at !!!

so how can I ask for help ? When I myself have no clue what I’ve got to do. My pigtail going into the firewall is broke in half and one wire is bare copper. ( now that I can fix which I’m headed out to do at 7am.) I have a new ignition lock. And a new ignitionswitch both from rock auto. Com

I did retain the knowledge that the red and black wire on the new unit needs to be reversed ??? It’s going to take a army to coach me thru this.. and if you feel up to it. P.M. me your phone number.. and be ready for calls and questions.
I’m totally lost here
Font Material property Parallel Handwriting Rectangle

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
the first thing you gotta do if find/figure out what he did to burn it down [ exact wire colors and where they go ]

First thing I did was order a HAYNES manual for that truck.
well thats the FIRST mistake you have made so far in fixing your truck , the Haynes and Chilton manuals aint worth the paper their printed on , at least for a dodge truck they aint

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh great !!! And I’m not very good at the internet either.. I tried to look at a link you posted in another thread and went to a tapatlk site tried to continue with Facebook and got nowhere ???

I’m screwed

soon as I get my shoes on we will begin this task.. if it takes all day. My baby will hum again.. I love this truck and am willing to walk them glass to learn how to work on it.. I know mechanicing very well but don’t know squat about wiring !!!!

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
l,m a 47 years ASE Master mechanic and "specialized in automotive electronic diagnostics" = l,m a vehicle wiring expert

Product Azure Font Circle Electric blue

·
Registered
31,401 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m 53 and have made some bad life decisions. Mainly dealing with women . Buying this truck although it wasn’t running at the time was a good decision.

this red wire coming out of the switch is spliced into whatever wire went where that plastic is melted. I don’t even know what color it was. It goes to the ballast resistor. Melted all the way to it . Thanks to my cousin!!
Wood Gesture Finger Gas Tints and shades

Finger Thumb Wrist Nail Terrestrial plant

Terrestrial plant Vehicle door Automotive lighting Bumper Gas

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guy I got this truck from is a dodge guru.. he literally has acres filled with old dodges. And twice yearly travels the country to sell stuff. He at one time used this as his daily driver. That’s why I got faith in it.
His name is. SCOTTY DICKS. Maybe you know or heard of him ?

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
read post below

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
True but I got a new lock and switch to install. My old lock wouldn’t hold its own I had to drill a hole in the steering column and insert a screw to hold it. Or it’d just fall back and shut off

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
depending on your options there could be TWO different ignition switches , the one above and whats below , you hafta ID it for the right wiring

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
I like the colors.
Your so good Dean. ;D

thanks Kurt / #16 took me about 30 minutes this morning to cut out the rest of the wiring in the diagram and then color it , about 20 minutes for # 17

1 - 20 of 105 Posts