Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is one of those "Would like to do it at some point but not sure what to use" questions. I been looking at the MSD web site and wondering what would be a good replacement for the stock parts in my RC. It is a 1990 stock 318 auto, 4wd. I am just curious what you guys would recommend using to replace the stock ignition parts with MSD parts. Thanks much.

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the '90s ignition is computer controlled. The distributor has no mechanical or vacuum advance. So if you wanted to go to MSD, you would need a distributor from an older engine that has it.

In addition to that, you would want a diffferent coil, like a MSD Blaster, and the MSD ignition system.

With that said, I doubt if you would notice any difference in performance by just this change, unless your ignition system is in poor shape now. The stock ignition system is pretty good.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK well that is a big duh on my part. So I guess the next question is is there anyway to upgrade the stock ignition or is it just a useless upgrade.

·
Registered
116 Posts
RED90RC said:
OK well that is a big duh on my part. So I guess the next question is is there anyway to upgrade the stock ignition or is it just a useless upgrade.
Yes you can use the MSD ignition products. I had a 93 Dakota 318 magnum. I used the MSD replacement coil and wires. I also installed a MSD 6A ignition box. MSD's web site has instructions (they also come in the ignition box packaging) on how to wire the box to this application.

OR you could go the route I did on my 87 W100. The computer was taken out of the loop. I use a MSD billet distributor and a MSD 6 OFF-Road ignition box. You just need to tap into the blue power wire that goes to the computer (remove old ignition wiring) and plug the box into the distributor and coil. Simple setup. If you need more info let me know.
MSD 6 series instructions
MSD 6 Off Road instructions

Charles

·
Registered
286 Posts
You could use a performance ignition coil, like the chrome one from Jacobs.
You could also trigger an MSD ignition with the stock ignition (computer box.) Note: the Jacobs coil will also work with the MSD6A ignition boxes.

If you want to bypass the computer, you will need a distribitor with a mechanical advance. You may also want one with the vacuum advance too (for gas mialage.)
The least expensive option is a stock distribitor from an older model Engine from about 1972 to early 1980's (without lean burn.) The stock ECU or replacement will work. If you have the MSD, you can hook the distribitors magnetic output directly to the MSD and you won't need the stock ECU.

Another option is the Mallory Unilite, or Accell Billitproof Distribitors that have the electronices built into them. Same with the Davis Unified ignition (I think that is what it's called?)

I have the Mallory unilite (mechanical advance only) on the Charger race car, and it works good, but I am also using the MSD ignition, so the electronics in the distribitor are just triggering the MSD Box. The coil on this car is a Crane PS91.

I put an Accell Billitproof in my '69 Coronet R/T. This car is mostly stock (no MSD), and I just run the small Jacobs chrome coil, but it works good. I got this distribitor because it has an adjustable mechanical AND Vacuum advance.

·
29,467 Posts
Yes, I believe cdrlmr is right. Its been a while since I've seen the instructions (and I didn't read the link he posted), but If I remember correctly, they can be wired two different ways.
One, is to splice into the distributor mag pickup wires, and..
Two, is to trigger the 6al from the orignal coil - wire. This way, the computer is still controlling when to spark, but the MSD takes over from there and creates the spark.
The second method is what you'd use.

·
Registered
116 Posts
KThaxton said:
Yes, I believe cdrlmr is right.
Two, is to trigger the 6al from the orignal coil - wire. This way, the computer is still controlling when to spark, but the MSD takes over from there and creates the spark.
The second method is what you'd use.
That is the way I wired my Dakota.
Do you have the round coil like older V8s or the smaller strange shaped one like the 92 up Magnums have?

·
29,467 Posts
My 2000 has the newer style (obviously) coil, and the entire ignition is still stock except for the wires.
My 86 RC has a Jacobs Ultra Coil, it looks like neither! ;D
(I do not own an MSD)

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, I have used stock, jacobs, mopar performance, and now msd.

for my money and also considering the performance gain (or not), I'd go with the mopar performance version. It ran better than the jacobs, and aside from being able to control timing from inside the dash (msd timing control) the msd shows no improvement either.

Like was said, unless yer ignition is really fubar'd, you won't really see a gain.

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
I guess I was assuming he wanted to bypass the the computer. I didn't read the instructions on my 6A, mainly because there weren't any. But I guess the left over white wire is the one to be used for triggering off the coil (-) wire.

To splice off the mag pickup on the distributor, I used the end off an old pickup coil I had laying around. This way, I can just plug straight up the distributor with no fuss. Be advised, it matters which way the wires go. It will run either way, but only run right the right way.

The added advantage is I can plug my still-functional OEM system right back in, and run off that as a backup should the MSD box fry.

·
29,467 Posts
GunPilot said:
The added advantage is I can plug my still-functional OEM system right back in, and run off that as a backup should the MSD box fry.
Me too, except I do it with a Jacobs system. I am also coming directly out of my distributor (MSD) via mag pickup wires going directly to my Jacobs computer.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
if you want to keep the computer (damn good idea) i'd just add a hotter coil and give the plugs a lil more gap. if your running the older system (ie going to a carb) id run a mopar performance distributor and a Mopar performance orange box ECU. unless you have done some major mods to your engine and will be operating above 6000 RPM you will never get into the area that the aftermarket systems realy make a difference. basicly putting the MSD, Jacobs, or Acell systems on your rig is just overkill and wasted money. David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts