Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I decided to replace my plugs w/ champion truck plugs. I went ahead and bought them, and upon removing the boots from the old plugs, two of them cracked. i decided to get a new set of wires as well, and went to the store and picked them up. After finishing everything, I started my engine and it's running very rough. it almost seems like 1 or possibly two of the cylinders aren't firing. are there any easy ways to check what's going on, should I remove the plugs and try again, any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
double check the firing order, and make sure #1 is in the correct place.

Also make sure the wires are on the plugs & cap real good & snug.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've already double checked all of the connections...how do you check the firing order?? I knew at one point where to start, but now i'm hopelessly lost.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
well, the drivers sie bank is 1,3,5,7, and the pass side is 2,4,6,8

They start at #1 on the cap, and go clockwise around the cap.

I think the firing order is 1 - 8 - 4 - 3 - 6 - 5 - 7 - 2

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks...i believe there's an arrow at #1 if i'm not mistaken?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i went ahead and switched the wires to what seemed to be correct, but to no avail (actually got a loud pop sound, hopefully nothing broke). the only thing i can't figure out is the fact that the dist. cap has two #1 markings, one with an arrow going clockwise (the one i used) then the word rotation, then a 1 with an arrow counter clockwise.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
negative

·
Registered
405 Posts
Chump saves the day again!

·
Registered
577 Posts
If all wires are in the correct locations, try pulling on wire at a time off the plugs and see if there is any change in the way the engine is running. When you get to the one(s) where there is no change then you have found the plug or wire that is causing the problem. I have replaced plugs in the past that were bad right out of the box.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Have you changed your distributor cap and rotor button?

If not then do so, you can get hair line cracks in both and they arc to ground and cause rough running!

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you know for sure that the wires are at their correct location, I would gcheck into the distributor cap and rotor button like Ram said. If that doesn't work - time to start checking the plugs out. cap and button is only a few bucks anyways.

Good luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i found my problem...when i did the firing order i reversed the order (started from the back of the engine as 1 and 2 rather than the front of the engine) thank you a thousand times to everyone who helped, you guys are lifesavers.

while i'm not exactly glad that i had this much of a problem, I did learn a little bit, and for that i'm happy. thanks again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts