Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Go here, http://www.4secondsflat.com/ call Don and he`ll set you up with a killer ignition thats a straight bolt in deal. I put his ign box and coil on my truck and it`s a noticable improvement over the orange box/MSD blaster2 coil I was running. Oh and BTW he also will walk you thru setting up the dist curve/timing if need be, a super guy to deal with. I also picked up a Barry Grant 575 Speed Demon from him, coudlnt be happier.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Look on the first page, he has a dist in canada,
Dave’s Mopars
Calgary, Alberta Canada
403-258-1688

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I went from lean burn ignition, to factory electronic (black/blue/orange/chrome box--I used an orange), to GM HEI igniton, to MSD ignition, and would highly recommend MSD to anyone. Easier starts, better mpg's and no more idle misfires. The factory EI was an improvement over lean burn, HEI seemed an improvement over Mopar factory EI, but the MSD is above and beyond all the others IMO.

-SM

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at the MSD economy blaster ignition, and the blaster 2 coil. Both cheaply and easily attainable to me, hover, the 5 series ignition is just a little more expensive, is it worth a few more dollars?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I have never used the economy or 5 series MSD. I will say I think the 6 series is worth every penny. I really like the built in rev limiter on the 6AL ignition, which is about $20-$30 more than the 6A ignition, which is identical to the 6AL but does not have a rev limiter.

Remember you will need non-solid-core spark plug wires with an MSD ignition as well, which will run another $60 - $75 above the ignition and coil (approx $200 for both, so around $275 total if you use your current dist)

Definitely not the cheapest option, but well worth it IMO. Haven't had a single problem with my MSD in 4 years.

-SM

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I like MSD wires or Jacobs wires, though I believe someone posted a less expensive spiral core brand recently that would also work. Maybe Accel???

Just make sure they are not solid core wires (which are the standrad replacements) with an MSD...they will make your electrical system go nucking futs.

-SM

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Slanted_Mind said:
Ito GM HEI igniton, to MSD ignition, and would highly recommend MSD to anyone. , HEI seemed an improvement over Mopar factory EI, but the MSD is above and beyond all the others IMO.

-SM
Dude, how the holy hell did you get a chebby system to work on a Dodge? I wanna know too!! Although I'm loyal to Momma Mopar, I play with the Chevy boys too, and some of their stuff is pretty good compared to what's in my old clunker now (it's had a REAL hard life). Lemme know, I wanna upgrade my system as soon as possible. Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey SM, I keep trying that site and get nothing but popups? Is it down? If not do ya have any idea on the pinout of the 5 pin module. The rest is pretty much common sense.

Thanks

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I just tried the link and it worked??? I do get a pop up or two, but the site is up. The site shows how to use both 4 pin and 7 pin HEI modules.

Are you looking for a diagram of the Mopar 5 pin module?

-SM

·
Registered
82 Posts
Something is going on, Maybe my pop up blocker is making it nuts. Every time i try it, i just get a page full of banners for some free webhosting company. THanks

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
You can email the guy that created the web page, he may be able to send you a hard copy. His email is

[email protected]

You may also just try turning off your pop-up blocker for a few minutes and browsing the site/print off the pages. I only get one pop-up when I open the web page, and only have to close the pop-up once (it does not continue popping up) :-\

-SM

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
I got the page, slow to load with 1 pop-up and 2 pop-unders.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I emailed the guy that wrote the article asking for permission to re-print his info. (I know him from another board) If he agrees I will copy/paste it to a word document and email it to anyone that is interested--but only with his permission. :-\

-SM

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Werewolfdodge said:
Slanted_Mind said:
Ito GM HEI igniton, to MSD ignition, and would highly recommend MSD to anyone. , HEI seemed an improvement over Mopar factory EI, but the MSD is above and beyond all the others IMO.

-SM
Dude, how the holy hell did you get a chebby system to work on a Dodge? I wanna know too!! Although I'm loyal to Momma Mopar, I play with the Chevy boys too, and some of their stuff is pretty good compared to what's in my old clunker now (it's had a REAL hard life). Lemme know, I wanna upgrade my system as soon as possible. Thanks
some interesting info on gm hei applications. http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/Ignition.htm =a picture of my 440 dist setup w/7pin hei module will be used on my truck when ms2 is released. to see pic click on www on this post will bring my hosted pics. this has been bench tested and seems to work as expected. jy mod and connectors from 89 caddy cost $5.00. --sheriff--

1 - 20 of 21 Posts