Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been a while since the truck has acted up. Decided last week to go ahead and buy a new ISC motor from Rockauto (ACDelco) and put it on since the old one would stick and stumble when idling around. I installed the new one and adjusted it accordingly (2750-2850 rpm when the ISC and CTS are unplugged). However, it sounds like it idles really low and randomly it would bottom out and click when shut off. Did I not adjust it properly or is it another issue with it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
I used the standard Motor Products, adjusted to 2850 RPMs ,gave me 700 RPM idle .I tried going past 2850 RPMs and still it would give me 700 r p m Idol. hook up a reliable digital tachometer ,also I did try adjusting it about 5 times. Go right to 2850 see what you get hook back up coolant temperature sensor ,disconnect battery for 10 minutes.😎
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeffy45 said:
I used the standard Motor Products, adjusted to 2850 RPMs ,gave me 700 RPM idle .I tried going past 2850 RPMs and still it would give me 700 r p m Idol. hook up a reliable digital tachometer ,also I did try adjusting it about 5 times. Go right to 2850 see what you get hook back up coolant temperature sensor ,disconnect battery for 10 minutes.😎
I sent the AC Delco one back to Rockauto and cleaned up the original. It works much better but starting it when warm gives me really low idle that then bumps up to 750 rpm. I followed the FSM to the tee. Sunday I drove an hour one way to get the BWD one from Advance Auto and when I installed it, it acted the exact same as the AC Delco. Then when I took the cover off to check it and put it back, it stopped working all together. So I'm going to stick with the old one. Just need to figure out why when I start it it doesn't rev up to around 1000-1500 rpm before settling back down and instead starts real low
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
Throttle position sensor may be out of whack. maybe someone else will chime in that knows a little more.BWD stands for broke when delivered😎 all the sensors and testing them is somewhere on this site. That threaded shaft where that little plunger threads into on your ISC, without it plugged into the harness does that move back and forth freely a little it's supposed to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeffy45 said:
Throttle position sensor may be out of whack. maybe someone else will chime in that knows a little more.BWD stands for broke when delivered😎 all the sensors and testing them is somewhere on this site. That threaded shaft where that little plunger threads into on your ISC, without it plugged into the harness does that move back and forth freely a little it's supposed to?
Yes. The TPS is also from BWD but it actually works. I feel like the shaft isn't fully extended when I test and adjust the ISC. So do I pull the shaft out that the screw threads into? What is the proper way? Do I depress the gas pedal when in the adjustment stage and have someone thread out the screw?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
That shaft should move back and forth let's say a quarter inch freely without the wiring harness connected to it. If it does not move in and out a little something is wrong with it you can almost feel the gears inside messing when you do that. The new one probably did not come with the little plunger that goes into the threaded shaft. put it in there if you didn't already, to about where the other one was. Thread it out some counter-clockwise 5/16 wrench I believe till it starts opening up the throttle plates. See if the vehicle will start with your coolant temperature sensor hooked up and your wires hooked up to your ISC. If it doesn't start  Thread it out so you can get the vehicle to start and idle somewhat decent. Hook up a well-known working digital tachometer if you have one or you could use a regular tachometer. Start engine pull coolant temperature sensor adjust ISC till you reach 2850 RPMs on the tachometer. Shut off engine plug back in coolant temperature sensor start vehicle again see how many RPMs your idle is at should be 700. But obviously should go up high then gradually come down to 700. Once you've achieved that 700 make sure everything is plugged in running smoothly disconnect battery for 10 minutes to clear codes start vehicle see how she runs. Toxic doc likes to post up the procedure picture a lot it is in one of my posts on ISC or throttle body or some shit I don't remember look up my posts you'll find it. I don't know how to post pictures or I would just put it here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
I try to to stick with standard Motor Products they give me the least amount of headache out of all the aftermarket crap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
Idle speed control/88 318 tbi. That is the post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeffy45 said:
That shaft should move back and forth let's say a quarter inch freely without the wiring harness connected to it. If it does not move in and out a little something is wrong with it you can almost feel the gears inside messing when you do that. The new one probably did not come with the little plunger that goes into the threaded shaft. put it in there if you didn't already, to about where the other one was. Thread it out some counter-clockwise 5/16 wrench I believe till it starts opening up the throttle plates. See if the vehicle will start with your coolant temperature sensor hooked up and your wires hooked up to your ISC. If it doesn't start Thread it out so you can get the vehicle to start and idle somewhat decent. Hook up a well-known working digital tachometer if you have one or you could use a regular tachometer. Start engine pull coolant temperature sensor adjust ISC till you reach 2850 RPMs on the tachometer. Shut off engine plug back in coolant temperature sensor start vehicle again see how many RPMs your idle is at should be 700. But obviously should go up high then gradually come down to 700. Once you've achieved that 700 make sure everything is plugged in running smoothly disconnect battery for 10 minutes to clear codes start vehicle see how she runs. Toxic doc likes to post up the procedure picture a lot it is in one of my posts on ISC or throttle body or some shit I don't remember look up my posts you'll find it. I don't know how to post pictures or I would just put it here.
That's the the same procedure I follow. I cleaned the old one so it works better. I'll have to clear the codes and see what she does. I also run some Standard parts too. I sent the AC Delco one back and will be trying to return the BWD one to Advanxe Auto. I will update, as I need it for Carlisle in 3 days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,500 Posts
there are other things involved in that idle speed , the accuracy of the 2 wire temp sensor for example , telling the pcm if it needs cold temp rpm, or warm motor rpm .
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top