Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm going to the junk yard this weekend and want to know how to tell the difference between the 383, 400, 440. I'm 90% sure the place I'm going has some mopar big blocks. How do I tell them apart? Also, is there anything wrong with getting them from junkyards, what should I be watching out for?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok for identification, but how about general info for junkyard hunting, how can I tell if the engine is good?

·
5,729 Posts
yes its ok to get engine froma junk yard, just be careful. It would be nice to take a compression test and check the cylinders for crack and clown blocks, the olny way to tell if a block is good is to take it apart or do a compression test. Most likely any engine you get from ajunk yard will have to be rebuilt so plan on that, And make sure you indentify the engine correctly so you don't get over priced when you buy it.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Check the casting # for 400/440/etc

The Engine IDs are on top of the engine, in the front, B blocks are on the right side below the distributor, RBs are on the left side.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
The best way to tell a chrysler BB is the distributor is in the front of the engine, vs. the small blocks are in the back of the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.