Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so as seen in the attached photo, my ICM has released some schmoo and needs replaced. My question is about which variation to use. I keep reading about the mopar orange boxs and some other "performance" styles but will these work with my bone stock '78 440 which I am assuming has a points distributor? And if so, is there any advantage to using the orange box or should I just go with a standard oem replacement for a stock truck? Not really any plans to venture from too far a stock any time soon either, just curious about if the upgrade may help drivability.

Also, what is the difference in the 4-pin and 5-pin? What does the 5-pin truck have that the 4-pin doesn't? Truthfully, I havn't unplugged mine yet to see which one I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
Any standard 70s & 80's Mopar electronic ignition, so no points, just a magnetic pickup to trigger the ign module.

Get a 4 pin, You might have to say you have a mid 80's 360.

The 5 pin, is the older, and needs the dual ballast. The second side gives the electronics the lower voltage they needed to operate.The later 4 pin, does it with more modern electronics inside the module. I bet all the replace 5 pin modules are actually a 4 pin inside, with a fake 5th pin, and higher $$$ to go with it.

Aftermarket, vs Mopar? Thats a crap shoot, likely both are made in China.

Orange box?  Its for racing, and high revs. Don't waste your money.

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
If you have an ECU, you have electronic ignition, pretty much everything after '72 does.  There isn't much to gain with an Orange Box these days as the quality has dropped considerably from a decade or so ago.  The Orange Box isn't for racing, that was the Chrome Box along with the constant output voltage regulator.  I would just get a parts store one and call it good.  Just don't buy the cheapest one available.  If you aren't spending $20 or so for it, chances are it's not going to last very long.  Even then there are no guarantees.  Much like a ballast resistor, a spare ECU is a smart thing to keep in the glove box.

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
Then what was the Orange box's claim to fame? I had (probably still in my collection (hoard ) somewhere), one, and it sucked in the winter, would not idle worth a dam, until the engine bay warmed up. Was fine all summer.

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
The Orange Box was the "Performance" one.  Streetable, but claimed to have a hotter spark.  The Chrome was "Race Only" and supposedly would burn out with long term use but I never actually had one fail in our street cars.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I get the 4 pin and mine has a 5 pin, do I need to rewire anything? I beleive I have the dual type ballast resistor if that is the white thing in the top right corner of the above posted pic like I’m thinking it is. Mounted behind the ICM on the drivers side inner fender.

Forgive my ignorance, I’m of a different generation and still feeling my way around this older technology for the first time.

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
No, nothing needs to be done. The second side of the ballast, and the wiring is just not used.

If you want, you can remove the wires, and use a single ballast, just need to pay attention.

BTW, I have had the modules loose some of the goo, and still work fine for many years.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SuperBurban said:
No, nothing needs to be done. The second side of the ballast, and the wiring is just not used.

If you want, you can remove the wires, and use a single ballast, just need to pay attention.

BTW, I have had the modules loose some of the goo, and still work fine for many years.
Hmm. Interesting. May just buy a spare to throw in the glovebox then and continue to run the one on it. Thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.