Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I finally found out how to access my space on the web and I even know how to sorta create a web page with ms frontpage but does anyone know how to publish it so that you only have to type in the www. in the browser window.... I suck at this but would love some help if anyones ever used ms frontpage :-\

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Try this place:

www.register.com

You have to register a domain name (www.whatever.com) and then point it to your real address (i.e www.earthlink.net/username or 123.456.789.012) etc. I'd check with your ISP first though, as most of them will handle it for you. It most likely will not be free, unless they offered free domain registration with you hosting package.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way I understand things, it doesn't matter what you created your page with, some people even use NOTEPAD!

It sounds like what you need to do now is upload your page to your ISP's server. With my ISP you get umpty megs for your own personal web page. Whether you ever use it or not, it's still there. If this is your case you should be able to enter the URL right now and see just a blank page or a message to the effect that 'the owner of this page has not moved in yet'.

The upload address for your page should be provided by your ISP. In addition to this, the disk I was sent with the access software included FTP*-95 for transferring files for this purpose. If you don't have any FTP capability, though I suspect it's built into FP, you can download a trial version here:

http://www.cuteftp.com/products/cuteftp/index.asp

Once set up, this makes your space on the server appear effectively as just another drive which you can read from and write to.

Since your getting into web publishing I highly recommend

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Creating a Web Page by Paul McFedries
http://www.mcfedries.com/CreatingAWebPage/

* File Transfer Protocol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts