Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yeah screwdriver a smack and some pull as CCB said. Had to do this the first time I was heading to a car show in my green 86. The wipers were clocked backwards and hadn't been turned on since we reinstalled everything....D'OH!

Neil

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,461 Posts
D'oh!

Attachments

Reactions: neil4224

·
Registered
88 Ramcharger 360 Royal SE
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Quick update. I fixed the wipers (thanks for the input) just a single bushing needed to be installed and it's working fine now. Here are a couple things I learned.

This tool...

Sleeve Rectangle Electric blue Magenta Fashion accessory

Not needed / useful at least on my era of truck.

Also, the instructions provided on removing the wipers by 'prying the tab away' didn't translate correctly in my head (reading them now after the fact does however). I was thinking more bending the tab outward but once off the attachments made a lot more sense.

Plant Automotive tire Bicycle part Grass Tree

Here is the tab slid out from the base of the wiper arm

And here is the bottom of the arm to show the mechanism and how it's 'locked on' to the wiper head

Automotive tire Grass Wood Bicycle part Glove

I put this up here just in case someone else does a search for 'how to remove wiper arms' and needs a bit more of a visual explanation.

Thanks again for the assist and the welcome, now onto the 217 other things I either need or want to address...

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,461 Posts
Thats right, those have the tab that pulls out and then locks the arm on an angle and then unlocks when you pop the tab in while lightly pulling up on the arm to take some stress off of the tab and then pop it in and then down it comes. I forgot about that.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Quick update. I fixed the wipers (thanks for the input) just a single bushing needed to be installed and it's working fine now. Here are a couple things I learned.

This tool...

View attachment 628788

Not needed / useful at least on my era of truck.

Also, the instructions provided on removing the wipers by 'prying the tab away' didn't translate correctly in my head (reading them now after the fact does however). I was thinking more bending the tab outward but once off the attachments made a lot more sense.

View attachment 628789

Here is the tab slid out from the base of the wiper arm

And here is the bottom of the arm to show the mechanism and how it's 'locked on' to the wiper head

View attachment 628790

I put this up here just in case someone else does a search for 'how to remove wiper arms' and needs a bit more of a visual explanation.

Thanks again for the assist and the welcome, now onto the 217 other things I either need or want to address...
I have the same type of arms in my 1990 RC and IMO they are even easier to remove.
Now that you took them off I'd suggest painting them black, the ones available on the internet are silver which kinda sucks.

·
6,461 Posts
The 70's and earlier trucks were all silver. I purposely paint my replacement wiper blades silver to match the wiper arms. The silver doesn't bother me in the least as i drive.

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
There's all kinds of info on this site for maintenance of the wiper arms/ bushings/ trick bushing fixes/ wiper motor fixes and rebuilds.
Search around for the coolest fixes.
Somebody needs to put all those pages together for an easy find. Or has that been done yet?
Ramcharger Wiper Fixes Central!

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
I have the same type of arms in my 1990 RC and IMO they are even easier to remove.
Now that you took them off I'd suggest painting them black, the ones available on the internet are silver which kinda sucks.
I always put Anti Seize on the splines when I reinstall them.

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
The 70's and earlier trucks were all silver. I purposely paint my replacement wiper blades silver to match the wiper arms. The silver doesn't bother me in the least as i drive.
It bothers me. ;D

·
6,461 Posts
Yes, you have chromemafobia. Hahaha

21 - 34 of 34 Posts