Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
88 Ramcharger 360 Royal SE
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm not exactly new as I've been on here bugging people with questions about potential RCs for a few... well I finally got one, an 88 Royal SE with a 360 and 71k miles. It's got a 4" Tough Country lift and near immaculate interior. I know she's a good one simply because I did a (potentially) really stupid thing, flew in to buy it and drove it back the next day 1300 miles. I had no hiccups, and she did great. The only issue is the wipers aren't working and I went through three rain storms which had me white knuckling it for a good 3 hours of the drive. So at least now my questions will be restricted to one particular truck and not all RCs ever made...

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
Project Leviathan
704 Posts
I really like the paint job on that one! Defiantly a good score!

·
Super Moderator
14,520 Posts
Very nice. Congrats. Check wiper motor ground - a common failure and solved often by adding a ground wire to the case.

·
Super Moderator
14,520 Posts
Transmission bushings I used Dorman parts, but the wisdom on this site is the factory ones are superior and last years longer

Reactions: GusChiggins86

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Actually, motor spins, but no wiper movement. So it’s some mechanical issue
I just had the same problem. I replaced all the bushings and they work great. The bushings are a bitch to replace. Have fun. Beautiful rig!

·
Registered
88 Ramcharger 360 Royal SE
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice on the wipers.... I'm assuming these are motor unit bushings you're referring to and not bushings in the 'post motor assembly' (simply because I'd think there would still be some motion/vibration seen in the wipers if that was the case) If so, would those all be within a new motor if purchased? Realizing a few bushings is a lot cheaper than a motor, $40 may well be cheaper than beer and bandaids needed to swap out motor bushings.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Make sure you take pictures of the orientation of all parts before you take them out. Remove the short little arm attached to the motor too. (It only goes on one way. Can't screw that one up.)
Put the whole system together on the bench and slide the whole system back in as one unit.
Put the bushings in all the holes with the notches first. Then press them onto the opposing posts.
I put a socket under the end of the arm, set the bushing in place in the hole with the notch, and then whacked it a few times with a rubber mallet to set the bushing into the hole.
Then I put a 5/8 socket over the bushing that is set in the hole, put the arm with the post in place, and pressed them together with a C clamp. (The 5/8 socked kinda snapped onto the bushing and stayed in place while setting up the rest of the stuff)
(That may all make sense when you look at them.)

Reactions: JUNKYARDTOM

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yeah I have the same wiper issue too. I just don’t feel like fixing it since I’m not driving the RC in the rain anymore. Apparently there’s a wiper removal tool you can get which makes it a lot easier for our trucks. Seen an old timer on YouTube do it in a few minutes.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Yeah I have the same wiper issue too. I just don’t feel like fixing it since I’m not driving the RC in the rain anymore. Apparently there’s a wiper removal tool you can get which makes it a lot easier for our trucks. Seen an old timer on YouTube do it in a few minutes.
I'm sure it will make it easier. I use a small flat head screwdriver to wedge the tab away from the groove, and then work the arm off. PITA! Requires three hands. lol

·
Registered
958 Posts
Here she is. I might just have to buy it myself, 7 bucks to save some time and mental pain Lol.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Will that tool work? On my 77 the release tab is under the arm, not on the outside. Do you still need a screwdriver to release the tab and then use that tool to pry it off?

·
Registered
958 Posts
This is the video I seen with the tool.

I’m unfamiliar of the 70s set ups unfortunately but it looks like it just uses leverage as long as you can hook it.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
This is the video I seen with the tool.

I’m unfamiliar of the 70s set ups unfortunately but it looks like it just uses leverage as long as you can hook it.
OK, thanks. I see that arm still has the spring clip on it, so the tool must apply enough force to override the spring tension. Cool!

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,499 Posts
To remove the wiper arm i use a screwdriver to pull the tab back and then i give the arm a light smack downwards while pulling up on the base at the same time with the other hand and off it comes. Easy peasy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.