Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK......I'll be comming into some money soon. I want to get rid of this old 318 out of my 86 RC 4x4. Money isn't really a problem...I'm wanting this truck to be a pretty good daily driver but also a beast offroad....I wanna stay away from big blocks for a couple reasons though.....What do you guys (and gals) suggest? And where should I get if from?

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
you got yer choice / either a 300 horse 360 recomended or a 380 horse 360 from MOTHER MOPAR /they run about 3200 hundred for the 300 and 3600 for the 380 / that or get somethiong from the local parts store that is a stock rebuild / but then again if money is there a Dual Quad 392 Hemi would be nice

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How practical of an engine is that? I would also like for it to be reliable. I think I may go with a stock 360 with rollers and a matching intake/cam/carb setup. What do yall think?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/index.php?board=&action=howtoshow;id=20

I`d do it again in a second. The only thing I would/might change is the cam, it`s SUPER small, wich altho it gives the motor plenty of low end grunt it starts runnin outta staem around 4-5grand. Thats just me tho, the 300hp makes an excellent truck motor all around, and it`s fun smokin ricer`s with it...BIG fun.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
gen1dak said:
Glendora Dodge lists the 402 Magnum stroker smallblock for $5150.00
Lots of up top power but the single plane intake and big cam REALLY kill the bottom, would like that motor with a 270 or so cam and a better Dual Plane than the M1 on the 300 (Edelbrock are you listening?.....waiting for the 7577 to come out).

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
It's a stroker Chris it is very different than a regular small block, although a dual plane can help with the low end you wopuld be surprised at how much low end a stroker will make with a open plenum, Get a Air Gap for a good dual plane forget the M intakes.

Build or buy a stroker Vegaetta, that's all i build

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies yall....I was thinkin' of doing the magnum swap...but you ran into a lot of problems as far as bracketry goes....I wish they sold some sort of kit.

G

·
What bracketry problems? The Magnums accept all accessory drive brackets, timing cover, etc. from the LA engines. It's exactly what I did when prepping a 360 Magnum for my '89 Shelby Dak.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's some spaciing and bracket fab that had to be done to get his mag to line everything up right.....read his FAQ. I'm now leaning toward a 318 with 360 heads and a more agressive cam/intake/carb setup.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
if the Magnum brackets worry you, at least go with an LA 360 instead of the 318. Or stroke the 360 or find a 340 to stroke. Though a 318 can be made to make power, why not put the some money and work into more inches.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Id like to....but I'm not comfortable with the the balancing differences the 360 has.......It's really cause I dont understand it.......and I dont know what all the differences are and how to fix em.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Build it yourself-I would go with at least the 360-start working on it and figure out the balancing issues you have and then you will understand it and be smarter!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I prefer a 318 for reliability; but the 360 gives you more to start with. Don't let the balancing differences be a deciding factor; once you understand them, you'd kick youself in the a$$ for giving up the extra cubes. I say punch & stroke the 360; but build it for durability & torque.. Good RV cam.. . If you pass on doing a stroker.. you should at least get a 360 crate.. The 300HP will be plenty

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
just have to make sure you have the right flywheel and dampner for the 360 and don't use the ones from the 318. I'd probably buy those new when going through and engine anyways. Driver's side motor mount is different too, but the 318 mount can be shimmed to work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats good to know.....thanks. Now I'd like to get a 360 thats a little more ballzy than stock. W/ rollers, and a little more agressive cam. As well as matching intake and carb. What do yall suggest? Where can get a crate put together for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Don't NEED to get it put together.. Just order it.. Some dealers offer better prices than others; but if you can already order it in the box with power levels comparable to a Corvette.. No sense in pushing it for a truck motor.
My preference is with Edelbrock/ Carter carbs.. But a Holley will be easier to tune and get parts for. The Demon carbs are suppsoed to be very good for off road use too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah....Thats what I ment. Sorry bout that. I'd like to buy it assembled for the most part. Where on-line are there good crate shops?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Vegeta said:
Yeah....Thats what I ment. Sorry bout that. I'd like to buy it assembled for the most part. Where on-line are there good crate shops?
I got my crate from a local dealer, but my contact there who got me a smokin deal has moved to North Carolina (he works for Mitsu there). I had looked around before getting it from the dealer and found that Summit, Jegs, and Mancini all had competitive pricing, IIRC it was within a couple hundred or so from what I paid, but with those places you havta pay shipping. You might want to ck all the online places I metioned, get some prices and then hit you local dealer`s and see if they can beat/match the price.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts