Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So mine is leaking a little, and I've been researching new replacement. Parts geek, Napa, lmc, O'Reillys, etc.
Why are most new ones smaller than OEM 26x19?
I mean what is everyone using?

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
I'm using a Chevy-patterned aluminum 2-row I got from Speedway and made it work.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Last rad I bought was for my '93 W250. I got a Spectra-Premium from rockauto. I prefer shopping with the local guy, but not when its $200 extra.

Auto trans does give the cooling system a harder workout.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
take a look at LMC catalog or web , they show the "core" sizes , pick your's ...

·
Registered
802 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I usually look up a new Yorker with a 440 to get a part number.  Bolts up and it's bigger than stock ramcharger option. Mid 70's if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
1975 W100 Power Wagon Adventurer Sport 318 727 NP203 3.55
221 Posts
I usually look up a new Yorker with a 440 to get a part number. Bolts up and it's bigger than stock ramcharger option. Mid 70's if i remember correctly.
This is what i did 78 with auto and ac fits my 75 perfect. I got the biggest aluminum one I could find for it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
No recommendation here, but the newer ones are usually smaller because they are a bit more efficient than the older designs. They can make a better rad, with less material.
I’d say read some reviews on summit, check out rock auto, I would think just about any of them would work fine.

Unless of course your motors stroked or heavily beefed in some way. Stroked motors seem to make a lot of heat..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
johnnycashjunkie said:
That's a lot of mula
That's cheap for what it is, in my opinion. Keep in mind, that is a copper and brass radiator, almost unheard of today, 26" wide and 3 core. It was impossible to find a few years ago because the cost of copper shot up and hasn't really normalized quite yet. In comparison, the vast majority of replacement radiators will be either all aluminum or aluminum with crimped plastic tanks which are less efficient heat exchangers.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Elwenil said:
That's cheap for what it is, in my opinion. Keep in mind, that is a copper and brass radiator, almost unheard of today, 26" wide and 3 core. It was impossible to find a few years ago because the cost of copper shot up and hasn't really normalized quite yet. In comparison, the vast majority of replacement radiators will be either all aluminum or aluminum with crimped plastic tanks which are less efficient heat exchangers.
I really like that radiator, it was bigger than the radiator that came with the RV big block I have in my truck now. It cools so well that with a 195 thermostat in the engine, the gauge temp is usually around 185. It also has the threaded holes for the transmission lines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.