Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new ignition cylinder for a 77 are they all the same or is there a best choice?
I see Borg Warner and standard are listed if anyone thinks one is better I am assuming Borg Wagner?
Thanks PG

·
Administrator
62,315 Posts
Don't know much about brands. Even good names have been sold so many times, you have no idea what is good, and what is not.

70's trucks used a 5 pin ECU, and a dual ballast. The second side of the ballast provided the lower voltage the electronics need to operate. 80's trucks, did away with the 5th pin, and the second side of the ballast, did tall the voltage conversions internally. In theory, the 80's is better. And is plug any play with the older harnesses.  Even many units with the 5 pins, sold for the 70's trucks are the same internally as the 4 pin, just has a fake 5th pin. Do not pay more for a 5 pin ECU, there is nothing better about them.

To recap, a 4 pin will fit any non TBI truck from 72, to 89, the 5 pin (Not counting the ones with a fake pin) can only be used on a 70's dual ballast truck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.