Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work for a dumptruck company here in Indiana.  we have been busy as hell this year.
  all of our maintinence has gone out the window. they will not fix anything unless it will not run.
i have a 09 mack quad axle . the trans has been leaking oil for about a month.
the dealer says it will be about a thousand dollars and 2-3 days to repair.
  it has been getting worse.  they are putting four gallons of oil in it every day.
i asked them (how much oil does it hold)  they said almost 5 gallons .  arent we running it almost dry?

it will be ok they say.  shouldnt we take it out of sevice and get it fixed?  it will be ok.
i tell them why dont we put a catch pan under it and a bilge pump and drill a hole in the filler plug
and just turn it on every ten minutes to keep the trans full.
amazingly they think i am a smart ass.
told them are we just going to wait till it runs completly dry and cheew the whole thing up?
it will be ok
today i got off the the interstate and went from high rang to low and drop in 2nd. and it made a growl. got to the side call them.... it will be ok keep running got a little further and it howling .

had them look at it and and theres no more oil leak pulled the bottom plug and shes dry.
fill it up ....it will be ok...filled her up and she is grinding growling and knocking.
i told them we spun a bearing andchewed it up take it to mack.
mack heard it and said its hamburger. i said yep

now they are mad as hell and want to know what i did.  i said you should have prayed more it will be ok.    for a coulple of christian fanatics they sure can cuss pretty good.

now they said i cant work till its fixed and i told them they will bump a lower driver and i will drive that truck.. they said it wont happen and i told them i will wipp a drivers ass and take that truck.
you wont fix it dont take my money. so im thinking someones going to be a blood puddle tommorow.
i will be dammed if i get bumpped
  am i wrong

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats not a bad idea, but i would rather be working .
i dont know who is dumber them or me working for them still. 
work is hard to find and i am glad to be working.
had a offer for more money at another place but they have 35 trucks and i would be at the bottom of the list.  here i am #4.
they used to take care of their shit.  now its all junk.
another driver just called me and told me he has a broken spring on the front.  ......it will be ok.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Wait 'til that new C.S.A. 2010 is started in full force. Sounds like yor boss will be screwed. Bad thing now is that anything wrong with the truck will go on the driver's record as well as the company's.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well that would be good.  last month i got pulled over because of bald tag axle tires .
the truck got warning tickets for lights out, no fire extinguisher. bald tires 6 of them. missing mud flap,
and a few others. 
i got a overweight ticket.
they get to fill out a paper saying its been fixed and put it on the road without doing a thing to it.  its not right.  they will not pay the overweight. but we were loading dirt with no scale.
  i told them they were loading heavy and our company said haul it,  so im fucked there too.

the good news is that they called and i will be in at five to drive truck 12 so he got bumped

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
fox3698 said:
the good news is that they called and i will be in at five to drive truck 12 so he got bumped
{cool}

Sounds like you need to find a new job. :-\

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
I would look for another place. I work with tank trucks every day. The best story I ever heard was a driver leaving his load at a Kmart because he had enough. Then I heard of a story for the same outcome, but because farmers were paying more money to haul sugar beets. Now you may say this how the world works. BUT when you miss customers orders for a Fortune 500 company because your freight company's driver owned rig dropped your FTL because of sugar beats down the road hahah.

·
Administrator
60,447 Posts
mopar65pa said:
{cool}

Sounds like you need to find a new job. :-\
no

fox3698 said:
well that would be good. last month i got pulled over because of bald tag axle tires .
the truck got warning tickets for lights out, no, He needs to be looking for another carrear.
fire extinguisher. bald tires 6 of them. missing mud flap,
and a few others.
i got a overweight ticket.
Mud flap & lights, you could "try" to say just fell off, or burned out. But the tires & fire extinguisher were that way when you did your pretrip, that truck should never have left the yard, any accident would have been on you & you only.
I could go on to tell you about a dump truck driver that is sitting in the Pa State prison, because his company truck had bad brakes, and he went through a stop sign and killed two kids. But I think you get the point.
Those lives you risk, and headlines you could make, are not worth putting your family through.

·
Registered
29,663 Posts
SuperBurban said:
I could go on to tell you about a dump truck driver that is sitting in the Pa State prison, because his company truck had bad brakes, and he went through a stop sign and killed two kids. But I think you get the point.
It's his fault for taking the truck out. Pretrip includes breaks, slack adjusters, lights, whatever.If it's not safe you should not drive. He is just as liable as his company.
Killing bystanders aside, why would anyone do anything that could get themselves killed or injured?

and before you call me a hypocrate, yes I used to drive way over my log,rig parts to stay running,not get things fixed because I didn't want to wait.That was a long time ago.Like 1998 long ago. Now, I'll lay over,or have them come pick me up in Shillington if my logbook runs out..or I'll leave the truck and go home and come back ten hours later if close enough, if I run out of time or get a flat tire on a trailer even if it isn't isn't flinging pieces of rubber and can technically be driven.

·
Administrator
60,447 Posts
herostoryrory said:
He is just as liable as his company.
That case from York a few years ago, the company got a fine, the driver got a fine and 15-20 years jail time. Even though several other drivers testified that the company made them drive with bad equipment, the final ruling, was the driver still made the final choice.

herostoryrory said:
Killing bystanders aside, why would anyone do anything that could get themselves killed or injured?

and before you call me a hypocrate, yes I used to drive way over my log,rig parts to stay running,not get things fixed because I didn't want to wait.That was a long time ago.Like 1998 long ago. Now, I'll lay over,or have them come pick me up in Shillington if my logbook runs out..or I'll leave the truck and go home and come back ten hours later if close enough, if I run out of time or get a flat tire on a trailer even if it isn't isn't flinging pieces of rubber and can technically be driven.
You are right. like I say, why put your family through the whole ordeal? Get into an accident, the company will not stand behind you, they will dump a driver quicker-N-Shit. And then the driver still has to appear for all the court appearances, while the company goes on business as usual.

I won't claim that I've never taken risks behind the wheel of a big rig, And I won't make excuses, all I can say, is looking back there is many times I'm sure I was ok, other times I know I was lucky, but in the end, it all was very risky.

·
Registered
537 Posts
SuperBurban said:
that truck should never have left the yard, any accident would have been on you & you only.
seems a little light of greed on your own part has played a role, if the truck is not fit then you don't have a days work, you need ta work that out with management. havin another guy gettin bumped wont "fixx" anything. it merely lays a burden upon another, passin the buck ya might say.. i know, this is not the most popular way of lookin at it, but it is the more responsible approach. yes a days pay in these times is as important as ever before, but the lives and well being of others that have not agreed to the risk ahead of time is reckless ta say the least..... HHB

·
Administrator
60,447 Posts
Jack-Amish said:
seems a little light of greed on your own part has played a role, if the truck is not fit then you don't have a days work, you need ta work that out with management. havin another guy gettin bumped wont "fixx" anything. it merely lays a burden upon another, passin the buck ya might say.. i know, this is not the most popular way of lookin at it, but it is the more responsible approach. yes a days pay in these times is as important as ever before, but the lives and well being of others that have not agreed to the risk ahead of time is reckless ta say the least..... HHB
Greed on my part?

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Between a rock and a hard place.  Its easy to tell him "never ever" when his days pay isnt putting food in your mouth.  I dont know anyting about the situation, but there are alot of people that are only 1 paycheck away from hungry and/or cold.

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Asymetric said:
Between a rock and a hard place. Its easy to tell him "never ever" when his days pay isnt putting food in your mouth. I dont know anyting about the situation, but there are alot of people that are only 1 paycheck away from hungry and/or cold.
X2 on that one.

·
Registered
537 Posts
SuperBurban said:
Greed on my part?
oh no, i had only used the phrase to emphasize the responsibility

well if sombody should leave the yard with bad tires, bad tranny, no extingiuser, bad lights.. do they not share in the responsibilitys? they do share in the profits dont you (pay-day)??
they could have stood there ground and not run a truck that was under par... but they wanted the days pay, so they drove it, yes, i say, they would be sharing the greed

edit ta clarify

·
7,250 Posts
Jack-Amish said:
well you did leave the yard with bad tires, bad tranny, no extingiuser, bad lights.. do you not share in the responsibilitys? you do share in the profits dont you (pay-day)??
you could have stood yer ground and not run a truck that was under par... but you wanted the days pay, so you drove it, yes, i say, you are sharing the greed
Have you read this whole thread? Superburban didn't leave the yard this way, another poster did.

When I drove for Schneider I was assigned a trailer to get a load after a few days at home. When I got to the yard and pretripped the truck it was fine, which is what I expected to find. I also expected the the trailer to be fine, it wasn't. It was an older 48 footer by 96 inches wide that, I was told, they wanted to get to Green Bay eventually to get rid of. Problem was, every brake on it was worn out. To the point it wouldn't have passed a DOT inspection. I refused to use it until it was fixed. They threatened to terminate me. I told them to go ahead, no job was worth my life or anyone elses. What they finally did was, they had me haul the trailer empty to Green Bay instead of the 40,000 pounds of beans I was supposed to haul to LA.

Chris

·
Registered
537 Posts
i didnt mean mr burban, was just using the words i geuse, i can change it if any would like

·
Administrator
60,447 Posts
Asymetric said:
Between a rock and a hard place. Its easy to tell him "never ever" when his days pay isnt putting food in your mouth. I dont know anyting about the situation, but there are alot of people that are only 1 paycheck away from hungry and/or cold.
I agree, and I've done those things, I've pulled off miracles for companies, Luckily I did not have to learn the hard way. But even in my worst days, I can't imagine leaving a yard, with 6 of the 8-12 tires being bald, He;s lucky he did not get a hefty fine for that alone, that could have easily been more then a weeks paycheck. the time to switch companies is now, once he has a blemish on his record, no one will want to even talk to him.

the last 5-10 years, DOT has been shifting a lot of emphasis off of the national tractor trailer companies, and clamping down on the locally owned smaller trucks, and even the business used pickups and vans.

Times are changing, its getting harder to be a driver, hopefully the drivers will stick together, and demand the wages to go with the further demands put on them, Running more miles for less pay, is not the answer. Make the shit companies shape up & pay up, or go out of business.
Jack-Amish said:
i didnt mean mr burban, was just using the words i geuse, i can change it if any would like
would be nice to clarify who you are pointing the finger at.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Don't BIG Trucks (you know, more than 2 axles  :p ) require a Bi-Annual DOT/State Inspection? Or is that just a handful of states that do that?

I know the trucks see ALOT of miles, but i can't imagine 6 Tires or more going completely bald and passing inspection (which had to have been getting close to the limit when it was inspected? Isn't the passing limit 4/32 or something like that for Rigs and 3+ Axle Trucks?)

I honestly can't remember, because i work on Class C stuff (you know, cars, pickups, suvs)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts