Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HATE HAVING BOOBS INSTEAD OF BALLS!!!!  :mad:

Yep, it's been a crappy couple of days at work.  Honestly, I could use a little male perspective on some things, so feel free to offer your  {2cents}.

Here's the scoop...it seems like I can't do ANYTHING right these days. 

One minute I'm TOO SLOW at grabbing the phone, and the next time I go for the phone I get "I got it, no need to rush" comment. 

If I look up the wrong part for a customer, my coworkers ride my a$$ about it for weeks afterward, BUT if I double-check something with them to make sure I got it right, I get the "you should know that by now" speech.

I get bitched at for not stocking shelves...always after we've had a busy run and I can't get out from behind the counter, then I get bitched at for not leaving them go so the delivery driver can stock between runs.

I could go on, but you guys get the point.  I'm at a total loss right now.  The boss says that he is happy with things, but the guys are jumping my $hit at every turn.  The only thing the boss was concerned about was that I seemed a little more stumped then usual a few weeks back.  When I reminded him that small engine season was upon us and I had NEVER dealt with those particular parts before, he admitted that he hadn't really thought of that.  Now that I'm a couple weeks into it, I'm getting a pretty good feel for the small engine & lawn equipment books.  :)

Call me crazy, but I actually do care if a part is right or wrong.  I refuse to BS my way through something just to save face.  If I don't know, I'll tell ya'...or I'll try to find someone who does.

Why?  A few reasons...

First, I've been the person on the other side of the counter who got the wrong part and it totally set back a repair...that sucks big time.

Second, it's my JOB to be as accurate as possible...at least it was the last time I checked.

Third, I'm a girl.  If a guy screws up on a part, they usually get a couple "free passes" before they are designated as the "dumbass at the parts store".  As for me, I usually have one strike against me the minute I answer the phone or walk up to the counter.  If I screw up or get caught trying to BS my way through something, I don't get a second chance.  I'm officially named the "dumb bitch behind the counter".

I'm not the "oh whoa is me, it's not fair" type of chick, which I hope most of you have figured out by now.  I knew the rules going into it, and I'm still cool with them, but the runaround from my coworkers has me wearing a little thin.  When it gets down to it, I like my job a lot and I don't want anything get in the way of that. 

Sooo...what gives?  Am I being put through some male "right of passage" ritual or what?  ;D

Okay, I feel better now...thanks!
Missy

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
it sounds to me like your suffering from the all powerful FNG syndrome now if your not the new guy then they need to back off.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lopaka311 said:
it sounds to me like your suffering from the all powerful FNG syndrome now if your not the new guy then they need to back off.
Well, technically, I'm the almost 7 month old FNG. How long does this affliction last?

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
atowinram said:
Well, technically, I'm the almost 7 month old FNG. How long does this affliction last?
Till the next newbie comes along. ;D

yeah sounds like your still in the "newbie" category....... :-\

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mopar65pa said:
Till the next newbie comes along. ;D

yeah sounds like your still in the "newbie" category....... :-\
Well, we are looking for another part-timer, but if they hire who I think they will...I'm screwed. They were all falling at his feet today because of his experience at dealerships & Advance. Nice guy & all, but he's switched jobs too many times for my taste.

So, basically, it doesn't matter if I do things right...I'm stuck in this position by default?

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
It sounds like your boss thinks your doing a good job, and your coworkers don't like it. So their trying to make you look bad. Keep up the good attitude and doing the best you can, ask your boss if you make to many mistakes to let you know so you can work on it before it's to late.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
atowinram said:
Well, we are looking for another part-timer, but if they hire who I think they will...I'm screwed. They were all falling at his feet today because of his experience at dealerships & Advance. Nice guy & all, but he's switched jobs too many times for my taste.

So, basically, it doesn't matter if I do things right...I'm stuck in this position by default?
No offense, but why should you make it your concern of his past? Just wondering. :)

Yes, honestly, you will probably be kind of stuck for a while.

Probably the fastest way out of the rut is maintaining modesty (even once you realize you really are "all that"), a little ego stoking of coworkers, and as swampthing said a positive attitude.

If they feel it as a competition, you may end up with a raw deal. More convinced they are that you are a team player, smoother sailing will come your way.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
atowinram said:
-boobies and +balls means you also get somthing called "foolish pride". If someone is busting your chops when you are doin your best, then they get tactfully (or not) told to pound sand unless its your manager.

After 7 months, your newbie dues are paid. As long as it is fun to ride and pick on you, it will continue to happen. Unless its the boss, stand up for yourself. One of 2 things will happen. They will back off and accept you into the flock, or they will get all butt hurt and make you miserable till you quit. Some men cant handle getting "told" by a girl.

My .02

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Swampthing 360 said:
It sounds like your boss thinks your doing a good job, and your coworkers don't like it. So their trying to make you look bad. Keep up the good attitude and doing the best you can, ask your boss if you make to many mistakes to let you know so you can work on it before it's to late.
Geesh...I thought only women pulled that "catty" BS...guess not. ::)

I did stop in and talk to the boss for a few minutes after closing a couple weeks back. I made sure everyone else was gone before I pulled into the lot...didn't want to make waves. We worked out a deal along the lines that you mentioned. As long as he's okay with things, we're good...and he'll let me know if anything changes.

s ǝoɾ said:
No offense, but why should you make it your concern of his past? Just wondering. :)
Fair question and no offense taken, Joe. It's not a "concern" in a "questioning the boss' decision" kind of way...just a comment stemming from my background & what the boss told us about him. I used to manage the milking staff at my in-laws 1000 cow dairy (long before the hubby & I became an item). I reviewed applications and gave hiring recommendations to the management above me. Changing jobs every year or so was a "red flag" with new applicants, and the eventual outcome of hiring them was pretty consistent.

Asymetric said:
If someone is busting your chops when you are doin your best, then they get tactfully (or not) told to pound sand unless its your manager. After 7 months, your newbie dues are paid. As long as it is fun to ride and pick on you, it will continue to happen. Unless its the boss, stand up for yourself.
I guess I'll have to start letting "the bitch" out of her cage once in awhile, but keep her on a short leash. Basically, I get calculating & vindictive along with a big helping of "I'm winning or taking you down with me" attitude. It's not a side of my personality that I like to use until there is no other choice...but it does come in handy sometimes. ;)

I sure do appreciate all of the perspective...having you guys tell me how guys think is a HUGE help!

Man, I love this place... :)

Thanks!
Missy

·
Registered
312 Posts
atowinram said:
Geesh...I thought only women pulled that "catty" BS...guess not. ::)
Oh, you have no idea..

I wouldn't get too worried. Takes a couple years or so to make a decent counterperson. The women I've got working at my shop are pretty decent. Of course, they have ME to help bring them along, how can they NOT be good? :p ;D

Don't be afraid to let 'em have a taste of Bitch if you need to. Just wait till you don't have any customers around. Our policy is, if you have a problem with someone, you go out the back door and hash it out. Maybe you need to take a couple people out the back door?

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
zach54880 said:
Our policy is, if you have a problem with someone, you go out the back door and hash it out. Maybe you need to take a couple people out the back door?
:eek: They'd never make it back in on their own with broken legs! ;D

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
zach54880 said:
The women I've got working at my shop are pretty decent. Of course, they have ME to help bring them along, how can they NOT be good? :p ;D
Where's that damn raised eyebrow/foot tapping smiley when I need it? ;D

{gloating}
mopar65pa said:

·
Registered
312 Posts
mopar65pa said:
I generally find that just glaring at people, and speaking REAL slowly generally gets the idea across that Zach is NOT happy. ;D

And if that doesn't get my point across...

I show them this picture. ;D

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That freakin' rocks!!  :D

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Hate to say it, but in a guy dominated industry, you're likely stuck in the situation you're in for a while.  Some guys just can't handle competition from a woman.  ::)  Or even working with a woman. 
I know a guy who feels a woman's place is in the home and gets disgusted when he sees a woman on a jobsite that isn't a secretary.  We had a female electrician on a jobsite and she couldn't do anything right in his eyes.  He and I had a 'discussion' about that.  Let's just say it's a good thing he's a sub-contractor and I don't have to be around him very much.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
I'd say play along and play back, but don't let them get you too mad, they'll just enjoy that more (I don't know them, just making assumptions on what I've seen in the past).

Have you bought donuts?  
May not do any good, but I for one am always up for donuts.

I end up calling our new workers "Skippy" until I finally remember what their name is.
Except for the new guy thats like a 6'-7" beanpole, I called him Stumpy.

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.