Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang! I am here. My quarters are really nice. Two man room, fridge, free phone to call the states unlimited (VOIP), Free high speed internet and inside latrines that are right next to my room. No complaints there.

I have been in country 2 days and have been attacked 3 times by rockets. One went right over our bunker and landed about 75 meters away. Kinda scary. We have had dust storms for the last 3 days as well.

The base stinks like shit. Mostly because there is an open shit pond near the other end of the base.

There are lot of people here. One interesting note is the passenger terminal that I arrived at when I got here to Kandahar. It is the place where the Taliban made their last stand in the war. They call it "TLS" (Talibans Last Stand). In one room you can see where a 500 pound bomb came through the roof and just demolished a part of the terminal.  There are TONS of MI-8 Russian helicopters here. I guess they are cheap. Maybe I will slip one in my bag when I come home next year LOL.

I will post some pics as I take them. It is a real dirty place here. The water is not fit to drink so they truck in thousands of pallets of bottled water. The water is so bad that I have to take Doxycycline everyday to prevent Malaria. Got a nice Smallpox vaccination, anthrax, yellow fever and a whole cocktail of other crap to keep me from being sick.

The food here is pretty good, but it is not home cookin'. Many different dishes from around the world. Some of the food is very rich, some just sucks.

Well that is all for now. I am going to watch a movie and then go to bed. Tomorrow is another day off the checklist.

Later

Tommy

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Stay safe Tommy.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Glad to hear you made it there safely.  You make it sound like an extended summer camp with the latrine, shit pond and food.
Thanks for going someplace I have no desire to go to.
Stay safe!

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Stay safe. Feel bad for you there. Its all quiet over here on VBC. No mortars or nothing lately. I get to move down south to a new location so we will see how long the peace and quiet lasts. Is it freakin hot as hell their too?

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Should've, would've, could've joined the Navy there, General.  LOL  ;)  :)  ;D

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
willy J said:
Stay safe. Feel bad for you there. Its all quiet over here on VBC. No mortars or nothing lately. I get to move down south to a new location so we will see how long the peace and quiet lasts. Is it freakin hot as hell their too?
Hot as hell here and getting hotter. I hear people here are going to hell for a vacation just to cool off. LOL. But 20 below relief is on the way in December. They say the cold months are Dec-Feb. We'll see.

Stay safe too my friend.

Tommy

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
PowerWagonPete said:
Should've, would've, could've joined the Navy there, General. LOL ;) :) ;D
No thanks.

If I wanna be around a bunch of seamen I will make my own. :p

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
willy J said:
No thanks.

If I wanna be around a bunch of seamen I will make my own. :p
Yeah Willy, with Tommy's luck, he'd be on a six-month plus extended deployment I.O. cruise right now. {cross}

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Glad to hear you made it ok, Tommy.  Be sure to come back the same way, lol.  Good to hear that it's nice in a relative way there in camp.  Stay safe.

Oh did you keep or ACUs or did you get to swap for Multicam?  I'm hearing only certain units are getting Multicam now where before it was said that all units headed to Afghanistan were getting the new duds.

·
7,250 Posts
Glad you got there safe Tommy. Stay that way.

I found out the other day that a friend from my old church in Casper is there too. He works for the Feds and is over there on official business. Training someone I guess. If you run into a civilian from Wyoming, I know it probably won't happen, it could be him.

Chris

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Stranger things have happened...during Desert Storm, three of us from my senior class were in the theater......and our class only had 13 in it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Welcome to the 'Stan.  We have one of those lovely ponds upwind of us here at Salerno, too.  Not too appetizing to walk directly at it to get to the chow hall.  Sand storms, huh?  We don't get those here in the mountains.  I guess because we're about 4000ft up.  Make sure to take your doxy as the mosquitos are the biggest threat for malaria here.  Everyone says it gives them weird dreams, but I don't ever remember mine.  Get used to seeing the Hips.  We have three or four that frequent our FOB.  I wouldn't fly in one, though.  Talk about good ol' fashioned Soviet maintenance.  :eek:  Do you have a phone in your room?  That would be nice, but we're too remote.  I pay $70 a month for the worst internet I've ever had, and it's the midgrade package.  Iraq was much better.  I'm headed the other direction this weekend for leave.  Take care brother, it will go faster than you think if you have fun.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Elwenil said:
Glad to hear you made it ok, Tommy. Be sure to come back the same way, lol. Good to hear that it's nice in a relative way there in camp. Stay safe.

Oh did you keep or ACUs or did you get to swap for Multicam? I'm hearing only certain units are getting Multicam now where before it was said that all units headed to Afghanistan were getting the new duds.
They issued me Fire Retardant ACU's They are a tad bit heavier, but not bad to wear. I also got issued Danner Combat Hiking boots that I will never use here, so I am sending them home along with a bunch of other crap that I do not need.

I have a great Cisco VOIP phone that also serves as the rocket attack alarm. I can call home all I want for free. The internet is free and at night after the intel guys go to bed, I get about 3 megs down. Not bad for satellite.

Later

Tommy

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Glad to hear you are making the most of it!

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
Glad you arrived safely and will be even happier when you return the same.  Thanks for the sacrifices you are making and risks you are taking.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Keep safe Tommy. We'll be praying for your safe return!!

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Keep your head down and come home safe Tommy. Thanks for the service and prayers for ya man.

·
Registered
423 Posts
all of you guys take care over there,if you need mags(readin kind) rifle cleanin patches or other things let us know we will send you a care package,be prayin for ya

1 - 20 of 64 Posts