·
Registered
331 Posts
Thats funny and man those are some fugly cars {puke}

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
gmule said:
I don't think I have ever seen 3 yellow ones the dealer lot.
Does that suggest that the ones in the pictures are new? The color looks like yellow with 20yr sun fade.

Reminds me of the synchronised driving "zoom zoom" commercials.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Dont mean to hijack this thread but since your talking about exhuast. You can IM me a response and let me know if i am wrong in what i think of this guys turbo idea.
  I have a neighbor that is all excited because he took his volvo 240 dl with a 2.5 engine and added a garrett turbo from a cummins and a 3" downpipe into 4" open exhaust.

Talks about how fast it is now and nothing has beeaten him. including mustangs and camaros.

It sounds like sh*t. I am about ready to go put a 45 round into his block just so i dont have to hear that droneing noise at 2am (when i am trying to sleep) anymore.

Says he gets 25lbs of boost at 3300 rpm........really.

I told him to get a magnaflow diesel muffler put on that thing. He stated that would restrict his hi flow exhaust then.

I usually laugh when people think i am just some dumbass old man.

but i have been a tech for 30 yrs including alot of hot rodding and race cars. Dont know everything but i do know a little bit and the specifics that he gave me just dont seem to match up.

I could be wrong!....

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
malebiker1 said:
Dont mean to hijack this thread but since your talking about exhuast. You can IM me a response and let me know if i am wrong in what i think of this guys turbo idea.
I have a neighbor that is all excited because he took his volvo 240 dl with a 2.5 engine and added a garrett turbo from a cummins and a 3" downpipe into 4" open exhaust.

Talks about how fast it is now and nothing has beeaten him. including mustangs and camaros.

It sounds like sh*t. I am about ready to go put a 45 round into his block just so i dont have to hear that droneing noise at 2am (when i am trying to sleep) anymore.

Says he gets 25lbs of boost at 3300 rpm........really.

I told him to get a magnaflow diesel muffler put on that thing. He stated that would restrict his hi flow exhaust then.

I usually laugh when people think i am just some dumbass old man.

but i have been a tech for 30 yrs including alot of hot rodding and race cars. Dont know everything but i do know a little bit and the specifics that he gave me just dont seem to match up.

I could be wrong!....
Mike, I think it is theoretically possible.

1st thing though, the cummins uses holset turbochargers.
2nd, I could easily pull down about 28psi @1800-2000ish with the much larger diesel. Other guys with trans that aren't slipping push them past 35psi. Look at seahawkdodges avatar for clarification.
The 4 banger guys do like the cummins sized HX35/WHC1 and they do make a great combo (not sure if they pull down his quoted specs though)
I did have a turbo dodge 2.2 (mitsushitty turbo) that was spiking around 22 @3000 when I removed the cat/muffler. I suspect a seized waste gate contributed to this. It was just a spike because as soon as pcm would catch on, it would shut things down until boost came down. Adding the 2.5" thrush muffler back on brought things down several pounds according to gauge but did not hurt performance, mostly because it no longer cut out. I assume he used some tricks on his volvo to prevent overboost cutout.

Boost numbers in general mean very little of anything as far as correlation to performance, so I wouldn't concern myself with his claims that may very well be true. Doesn't mean fast. Intercoolers often can lower gauge readings, but certainly do not usually hurt performance.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
My stepson has a 2001 S60 Turbo.  It's a kick ass car and I wish it was mine.

·
Registered
962 Posts
i hate ricers!! i seen a few at the car show today i went to it was a guy with a sunfire. the drive tran was bone stock but he dumped a bunch of money into a gay ugly body kit, fart cans(which are gayer then a excersise video with richard simmons) and lambo doors and he spray caned the whole thing it looked like a pile of garbage. can i ask why in the world people try and fix up and make throw away cars "fast"

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Volvos are European....made in Sweden to be precise.  Not sure how that makes them ricers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These were not "riced" out. They were actually some nice cars. It looked to me like one of the chapter runs we have at RCC except it was with Volvo's. The part that cracked me up was that there were 3 yellow 850's driving in formation. In the 3rd picture there are 5 Volvo's in the shot. 1 silver, 1black and the 3 yellow ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts