Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's a few pics of them...

I believe this is my adult male.

I believe this one is a gravid female... ok I'm hoping it is....

here the male is already starting to burrow deeper in the burrow I made them... been in the new home less the 10 minutes.

And here is the female eating her second cricket in the first 10 minutes of being in her new home.

ok so today I went to petco and finally bought me two scorps...I will be adding 6-8 more in the next month. had the viv setup for about 2 weeks now....wanted to make sure we have the temp and humidity are perfect before I being home the scorps... Ya I'm weird like that...still going to build a custom stand but that will be in a week or two.... anyway had a few things happen that I didn't expect from what all I have read.. I'm going to kinda list them so you guys can let me know what you think....

First as I said I bought them at petco they admit to not know anything about them.....they had 6 emps in a 5 gallon tank with 1/4" of substrate they know what they are doing wrong...but anyway.....they let me pick the two I want so first I picked the biggest one... got him in the container and sexed it... turns out from what a scorp site has tough me it's was a male and I really wanted a female so I deside to take two.. I pick the second largest ones and it looks like a gravid (PG) female... so get it in the next container and sure enough female.....

ok so I place them both in the viv and one found the burrow I started...you can see that in one of the pics above....the second one chose to walk around a bit then found the burrow.. they seamed to have a small tussle because the one that found the burrow right off had already started to burrow more... ya less then 10 minutes in the viv... from what I have read that is quick.... so after a minute the second emp (female) back out of the burrow eating a cricket... wow she was eating in under 10 minutes in the viv there again I read this not normal...

now they have been in the tank half hour to an hour yet they are both out running around checking out the tank.... boy are they active... their tank is currently 84.6 f humidity I'm not sure of the meter I got is pissing me off... but with the false bottom I'm sure it's good.....

my facebook photo album....

ok facebook was having issues letting me post more pics so above is he link to my photo album on facebook......

anyway let me know what you think of my new pets

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Gonna change your name to Scorpion King?

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL no I haven't got stung and not worried about getting stung...if they ever sting it's no worse then a bee sting... they are known to never sting unless you do something stupid...

No I hate changing my name plus I could do that right now I only have 2 but will be adding 6-8 more to that tank and I already have plans for 2 more tanks...LOL scorpions are addicting...

Scott

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I heard you have to worry about the little ones sting not so much the big ones.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
RED90RC said:
I heard you have to worry about the little ones sting not so much the big ones.
Quote from indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull ;D

"i got stung by a scorpion!"

"how big was it?"

"Huge! why?"

"cause when it comes to scorpions.. the bigger the better"

dont know if thats just right but.. you get the idea ;)

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL personally I would rather be stong by the ones with big claws.... they tend to be weaker posion then the ones with tiny claws.....

Scott

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You can find them around where I live, the biggest ones I have seen are about 2.5cm long and are almost white/tan-ish .I have never been stung, but they are pretty docile.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
When we were in Okinawa, our cats would stare at the geckos until they fell off the ceiling and then the cats would eat them, except for the gecko tail which would continue to wiggle until the wife cleaned up after the cats.

We brought the cats to Texas, the scorpions would scamper across the floor, the cats would sit on the couch and watch the scorpions go by.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so far the cat hasn't seen them but she will more then likely leave them be.. she likes the snake, fish, turtles, and gerbils. not to mention the kids...LOL ya we like pets....

Scott

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I got stung by a small one.  That damn thing felt like a cigarette was burning me for 3 days.  I still can't feel anything in that spot on my back after 15 years.
  The little ones can't control the amount poisen they release.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts