Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is what happens with free time at an engineering firm. blue areas are low stress, red is high. the only red are small points around the bolt holes, and thats eliminated when attached to a frame.

it's one strong SOB, the analysis was done with 4000lbs of upward force

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
ok is this 4000lbs of slowly applied pressure or sudden impact?

anyway of simulating the stress of the welded areas as well?

we find it is easier to do destructive testing on such a simple piece, preferably in a hydraulic press with pressure guage.

thats how we were graded on welds in high school.

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its just an analysis tool to aid in part design (COSMOSXpress in Solidworks 2005). it points out weak spots so they can be modified and reinforced before a complete model is sent for modal analysis.

the stress analysis is based on a linear force. it would equate to an instantaneous step response. checking weld quality would be part of quality testing since it varies in how its actually performed, not how it's designed

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4000lb was just an input parameter. i needed something high that would produce some kind of visible stress, and 2000lb wasn't enough. there really arent many other factors the software utilizes. i pick points to fix in space (bolt holes) pick points to apply force (shackle mount holes) and give it a force and direction to apply

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I love this stuff.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i'm also interested to know how strong the factory front hangers would be.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Can you do it with a higher number? 4000# could be just the weight of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the weight of the truck is distributed over 4 tires, the springs of each have front and rear mounts, so thats where i'm getting the 600lb figure from. its not an even distribution, but none see anywhere near 2 tons

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
the Engineers I work with would have no idea what a shackle even is.
I'll have to mention this nest time they get into one of their lengthy live loading discussions.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
DAMNIT! I did that 8 months ago! spacemeat, did you apply weld points to the different areas that a joints. Your stress design looks as though most pieces were created with the extrude feature which sort of makes them more or less one piece. I'll race you to the multi-pieced and welded stress analysis {cool}

good job though. I love solid works.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts