Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i replaced the batery cables on my 84 RC.The old ones were rotted and not letting enough current pass through.Now after i have put the new ones on got every thing hooked back were it was suposed to be.NOTHING WORKS!!!!wont turn over.It wont even engage the starter.hell the head lights wone even turn on.The battery is putting out 12volts I have a good ground the starter is getting curent.the positive and negitive wires for the starter are new and read current passeing through them.what in the sam hill is going on here.is there some wire i might have pass up here????

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BrianT said:
Did ya pull the ground off the block and clean it ?
the ground wire is new and the connecter(sp)but i didnt clean off were it connects to the block.could that be doing this?

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
it might / but l would check all the ballast resistors on the drivers fender well / these power the whole truck and if one is bad you get nodda

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Even w/a bad ballast, you should still have headlights etc....
Go over the wires carefully, just make sure everything is plugged in

·
Registered
74 Posts
Holy cow......thanks for the schematic Chump.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whats the red one for?i didn't hook that one up but i cant find were it would hook up to

·
7,995 Posts
It's not actually red...it's off-white in color. This was a Step-down connector that Mopar so brilliantly used. The wire from the battery was 6ga and the wire going out was 10ga on 60amp alternator applications....on 100amp applications it was 6ga on both sides. Look at your old cable and compare. somone may ahve already butchered this connector. As you can see in the diagram, that's the feed wire for basically the whole truck.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Also check the indash ammeter (bypass it and run avoltmeter instead). These are notorious for heating up and causing all sorts of electrical problems. I actually had one melt right out of the back of the dash when I upgraded to the 100 amp alternator. Another place to check is where the main feed for the interior comes through the firewall,this plug has been known to fail internally and cause the same syptoms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.