Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I cracked the passenger side cylinder head. And I was wondering, what is the average cost of getting it repaired. I have an 84 RC with a 318. The cylinder heads are stock. I live in Tucson and figured the costs shouldn’t vary too much from Phoenix or around AZ. I am in the Air Force and I don’t have the time right now to work on it myself. I could possibly be leaving for a while. Would it hurt to leave it sitting like that for a few months?
Well here is what happened and why I believe (but don’t know for sure) that the head is cracked. Wednesday morning I was driving from Tucson to Yuma but never made it. I was driving 85 MPH (the RC was running really good) on I-8 approximately 15-20 miles from Gila Bend, all of a sudden; my RC lost power, started to knock, and started to heat up. Just up the road there was an exit and what looked to be a gas station on the left. With the engine running as I pulled over and popped the hood I didn’t see anything suspicious. The oil was clean and the engine had cooled sitting there running. I wiggled the distributor and I was border-line being loose. With that bit information I thought that the distributor had come loose giving me too much advance and that’s what caused the overheating. I would only start to knock at higher RPMs. So now I am doing 50MPH in I-8 and make it to the Napa. I purchase a ratchet, extension, and a socket because that morning I took out the too box thinking I wouldn’t need it. I retarded the timing and had a rough memory of where the vac advance should point. That didn’t fix it. So I would make an adjustment then drive up and down the main drag of good old Gila Bend. By now I have the Napa parking lot as my as my home base. I figured the vacuum advance and/or the distributor went bad. I have AAA Plus which gives you 100 mile of free towing. I knew I was over the 100 mile limit so I start back to Casa Grand at 45 MPH! Good thing there is not a lot of traffic on that part of the highway. I finally get into Eloy, the whole time my RC was running about 210 degrees. I exit at the Flying J truck stop, and right there a GIGANTIC steam cloud shoots out of the tail pipe. I made it off the side of the road right across the street from the Flying J. I jumped out of the RC and put my hand over the white cloud and could feel the wetness and knew it was steam. I popped the hood and could hear water and steam rushing out of the passenger side exhaust manifold. I pulled the dipstick and the oil looked very clean, no evidence of water. I haven’t drained it to verify 100 %.
Sorry for the long story I just needed to vent about my broke RC and about being poor.
Streak-O-Lean

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
man that sucks, did you get the RC home? I'll ask around and see if i can find a good shop to redo your heads (if thats all thats wrong)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have a complete 318 I would let go real cheap.......and it runs! S-O-L email me if you interested; [email protected]

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Do a compression check and see which/how many cylinders are down. Don't leave out the idea that you just blew a head gasket. You said the oil looked clean. Check it again since it's sat a while and check the coolant too. If the head is in fact cracked, don't even bother to think of fixing it (assuming it's a fixable crack) our Mopar heads love to crack in the exhaust seat area, which is not repairable. If it was, you wouldn't wanna pay for it anyway, since you could buy a complete set from the Stealership for what you'd pay a shop.( Well, not really, but you get the idea) Start scouring the junk yards, just keep in mind, MOST of the loose heads you will come across will be junk.
Good luck,
Mike

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,
Well I did get my RC home. So far I haven’t had any time to check it out. I have been working long hours and with one car right now it’s hard to find time. I will also be leaving in about a week and a half. And I don’t have the time right now to really do any work on it. Also a little while back I pulled out the master cylinder, brake lines and wheel cylinders on my 1965 Galaxie. So now I am down to just one car. I swear asking my wife to get up 15 minutes early to give me a ride to works is like asking her to cut her arm off. She doesn’t get too mad at me for spending money on cars or having the maturity level of an 6th grade boy; but, ask her to get up early and watch out! Maverick I will send you an e-mail here shortly.
Streak-O-Lean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.